Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Ophthalmic Macro Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Nikon Ophthalmic Macro Lenses Reply with quote

I've seen pictures on the web of several Nikon-made lenses that were supposedly for ophthalmic use. There are examples of 2x, 4x, 5x, 6x, and 10x in various places on the web. They appear to be fixed-focus lenses with fairly large apertures. I am very curious about them, and am wondering if anyone has info on them. I checked on the Macrolens Collection Database but could not find any examples, though I may have missed them. Thanks...Ray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some links, Ray. Google was not very helpful this time.
I would like to know more about them too.

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Ophthalmic Macro Lenses Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
I've seen pictures on the web of several Nikon-made lenses that were supposedly for ophthalmic use. There are examples of 2x, 4x, 5x, 6x, and 10x in various places on the web.

Aren't they just common ophthalmic lenses adapted on focusing helicoids or something? People often confuse optical magnification with dioptric power. Maybe 2X, 4X, 5X and 10X are in fact +2, +4, +5 and +10 diopters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Ophthalmic Macro Lenses Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Ray Parkhurst wrote:
I've seen pictures on the web of several Nikon-made lenses that were supposedly for ophthalmic use. There are examples of 2x, 4x, 5x, 6x, and 10x in various places on the web.

Aren't they just common ophthalmic lenses adapted on focusing helicoids or something? People often confuse optical magnification with dioptric power. Maybe 2X, 4X, 5X and 10X are in fact +2, +4, +5 and +10 diopters.

Nikon indeed makes ophthalmic hand magnifiers of various focal lengths, but they mark them properly in diopters. The ones I'm talking about are marked by Nikon as "6x", etc.

Interestingly, I did a search last night before posting, and only found references on Google from akiroom. I tried searching MF Lenses but the search function was down. This morning I searched Google again and all the akiroom references were missing but a MF Lenses reference came up. Very weird. Here is the MF Lenses reference:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=17292&view=next

No conclusion was made as to image quality in this 5-year old thread. Perhaps I will dredge it up.

[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Ophthalmic Macro Lenses Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
I've seen pictures on the web of several Nikon-made lenses that were supposedly for ophthalmic use. There are examples of 2x, 4x, 5x, 6x, and 10x in various places on the web. They appear to be fixed-focus lenses with fairly large apertures. I am very curious about them, and am wondering if anyone has info on them. I checked on the Macrolens Collection Database but could not find any examples, though I may have missed them. Thanks...Ray

Unfortunately I missed a few but ever since then never came across those anymore (as I was not actively searching).
But it is not the only lens type missing in my macrolenses DB Wink