Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? or used one?

I doubt that it would have infinity focus, but still might be worth it...what do you guys think?

Click here to see on Ebay

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter Reply with quote

TDN wrote:

I doubt that it would have infinity focus,
Tom

Why? Nikon cameras have longer register distance than M42 cameras, so Nikkor lenses should definitely focus to infinity on an M42 camera if the adapter is properly built.

It's the opposite that does not work (no IF on Nikon cameras with M42 lenses).

_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine bought this adapter to use on Canon with a Canon focus confirmed M42 adapter. He would save money instead to buy a Nikon Eos adapter with focus conf. Adapter NOT maintained infinity focus on his Canon EOS 350D.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
TDN wrote:

Tom

Why? Nikon cameras have longer register distance than M42 cameras, so Nikkor lenses should definitely focus to infinity on an M42 camera if the adapter is properly built.

_

Well the difference is only a mm or so, so I don't think it's possible to build an adapter that thin, with both lens mounts having about the same diameter.

I just remembered I contacted this seller about these in january, and he said the adapter doesn't focus to infinity...

I'm gonna play around with my thinnest extension tube for pentax to see what the effect would be like.

I dont know if I'll get one, but if I do, I'll let you guys know the results.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you subtract the register distance of your camera from the register distance of the lens, you get the thickness of the adapter needed to space the lens away from the camera mount. If the result is a negative number the lens will not achieve infinity focus.

I made this chart to help - the red boxes show the combinations that won't achieve IF and the green boxes show the adapter thickness needed. This shows that only Nikon lenses can be used on Nikon cameras, but any lens can be used on a Minolta camera.

edit: image deleted - scroll down for newer version

Last edited by peterqd on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the register distance of 46 is that of the classic Olympus reflex cameras. The new Olympus digital reflex has a different (and much shorter) register distance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Olympus DSLR something like 42.5 or 43.0?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus E series has 38.67 ! Main reason why I bought it.
http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/50/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this adapter. It doesnt focus to infinity.
I asked this to Roxen, and they responded, the sale didnt write about this any where...
But I didnt send that back. Reason: That saved lot of money to me. Now I can use M42 extension tube with Nikon lens.
Great thing to have....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Olympus E series has 38.67 ! Main reason why I bought it.
http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/50/

Wow! Great!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Olys have to be like that, because of the half size sensor. A longer distance would cast a too big image cone for the sensor.
So you have the advantage of the supershort register distance but you have to pay for it with the 2x crop factor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that is benefits for me too, because I not familiar much with wide-angle photography.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, but that is benefits for me too, because I not familiar much with wide-angle photography.

Sure, of course everyone has to buy the camera that is best for his style.
I just wanted to point out that there is a reason why the register distance is so short compared to other reflex cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! Now I got it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Note that the register distance of 46 is that of the classic Olympus reflex cameras. The new Olympus digital reflex has a different (and much shorter) register distance.

Thanks for that Orio. I've altered the chart and added some other cameras and lenses. If you see any more mistakes or anything you'd like added please point them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
TDN wrote:

Tom

Your theory is correct Orio, but remember the measurement is taken from the face of the lens mount and doesn't take the bayonet or thread into account. The Nikon lens bayonet is too large to fit inside the M42 thread, so the lens would need to be mounted completely outside the camera - i.e. probably about 4 or 5mm further from the film/sensor than it was designed for. So Tom and Ballu are correct, this would indeed prevent focussing on infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon Lenses on M42 camera - roxen adapter Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:
TDN wrote:

Tom

Your theory is correct Orio, but remember the measurement is taken from the face of the lens mount and doesn't take the bayonet or thread into account. The Nikon lens bayonet is too large to fit inside the M42 thread, so the lens would need to be mounted completely outside the camera - i.e. probably about 4 or 5mm further from the film/sensor than it was designed for. So Tom and Ballu are correct, this would indeed prevent focussing on infinity.

I was about to write this (opened the site to provide this view, earlier I was in hurry)... Thanks..

We really need to take these 3 things into account for adapter (whether to focus to infinity or not):
1) Register distance
2) Mount length (The register distance is calculated from the end of lens/glass assembly, the mount mechanism is not taken into consideration. I think, That may be the reason why C/Y was difficult to make initially. Along with the length of mount, the thickness of mount elements also play the key role).
2) Diameter of mount. Even if lens register distance is less and its screw mount (hypothetical situation), and if screw mount has 50mm dia (much bigger that M42), that can be fit on EOS mount.

But register distance pay the critical role. If you know, the lens actual register distance is within limit of camera, the mount can be changed (mechanically) everything can done.