Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Lens Infinity Focus Problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Nikon Lens Infinity Focus Problem Reply with quote

What would cause a lens to not focus to infinity?

I have a Nikon2.8/35 AIS that does not reach infinity on my D3.
Can it be adjusted?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think so. How about your adapter, did you tried with other lenses ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Nikon mounted on Nikon, no adapter. This is the only lens I have had this problem with (not counting other manufactures mounted on the Nikon).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problem with a Flek 20 it has same problem, currently on repair in local shop.So I guess your Nikkor also fixable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer in relation to the Nikon lens, but I posted a message about correcting infinity focus on the Flek 20 a while ago. It's so tempting to grasp the big filter ring to screw the lens on and off the camera, and if the lens is screwed on tightly the filter ring will turn slightly when you twist it and this alters the position of the infinity stop. The ultra-wide angle makes it impossible to judge whether the lens is truly in focus or not at infinity distance. Fortunately there's a simple cure, but always remember to hold the lens by the thinner part next to the camera body.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I never even thought to check it on another body Shocked

It works fine on the D80.
I do not think anyone has cracked it open, but it was bought off eBay so you never know.

Ok, this is weird. I just remounted it back on the D3 and it works fine. Focus to infinity confirmed by the camera and by my eyes. Now I am really confused.

Any ideas what would cause this intermittent problem.

(BTW - Chris, I am building up the courage to open up the Nikkor 200mm, I have been inside and actually fixed the blades on a Pentacon 1.8/50)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's your case (since now it works), but anyway if a lens is opened and the technician is an idiot (a circumstance that happens more than one would like to think), he might rebuild the focusing mechanism badly and make the lens not focus to infinity anymore (or past infinity if he makes the mistake in the other direction).
Of course serious technicians use instruments such as collimator to make perfectly tuned focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Could be the 300? ...don't know. I've had similiar issues with my 200 and just reset the lens, and/or power cycle the cam. Ya know... ya gotta re-boot computers now and again...

You don't switch off the cam anyway, to change lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if it happens again.

Remember way back (couple of months), I have a Nikkor 200 that had non-functioning aperture blades. I was going to call you when I got my tools together. Never found them, so I bought new ones. I have 2 copies of this lens that do not work and 2 copies that do.