Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nikon f100 dead? Alternatives.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: nikon f100 dead? Alternatives. Reply with quote

Dear all,
I just got back my nikon f100 camera from the official nikon repair center with some bad news.
The damaged shutter (I accidentally damaged it) can not be repaired since there are not any more spare parts to fix it.

a. Are there any other places in Europe that can give a try to fix the camera?
b. What other cameras have same functionality as the f100 and can be purchased used or new?

Thanks
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My F100 was my favorite film camera next to the FM2n. Although I am mostly digital now, if I were to use more film, I would get another F100. My answer: Get another F100...
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: nikon f100 dead? Alternatives. Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
The damaged shutter (I accidentally damaged it) can not be repaired since there are not any more spare parts to fix it.

that is a strange thing for such a new camera?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably find a good condition F4 or F4s for around the same money as the F100 used.
It is an outstanding camera
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You can probably find a good condition F4 or F4s for around the same money as the F100 used.
Tom

how many focus points the f4 has? Too bad there are not too many film cameras still in production... Sad
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

how many focus points the f4 has? Too bad there are not too many film cameras still in production... Sad
Alex

One.
If you want a new film camera with all the bells and whistles you can still buy an F6 new
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
alaios wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

Alex

One.
If you want a new film camera with all the bells and whistles you can still buy an F6 new
Tom

....and a Leica M7. Wink

However, there are neither bells nor whistles and you may get two F6 for the price of one M7....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F90x is a very good 2nd best to the F100 and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel sad that the only camera that one can buy today (okay there might be more than one) costs more than 1.5k and all other cameras can not be repaired.... Sad

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
I just feel sad that the only camera that one can buy today (okay there might be more than one) costs more than 1.5k and all other cameras can not be repaired.... Sad

Alex

There are plenty of Nikomats and Nikkormats out there going for peanuts - certainly far less than the cost of a repair. They are sooo reliable and easy to use. Not auto anything, but who cares - they will just keep on working if you care for them.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:

Alex

HUH! 1.5k= 1500 euros for a film camera? You should buy from the UK not Germany, esp with the exchange rate in your favour.

E.G. This place is good although the prices are higher than say Ebay but you get a guarantee IIRC of 6 months.
http://www.ffordes.com/category/Film_Cameras/35mm_SLR/Nikon/AF_Cameras
http://www.ffordes.com/category/Film_Cameras/35mm_SLR/Nikon/Manual_Cameras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to re-visit this.
I have given some thought to possible substitutes for your F100
Here is a short list that includes Nikons that can be found in working condition for less than or about the same as an F100
Virtually any Nikomat/Nikkormat FT, FTN, FT2, EL, Nikon FM, FM2, F80, F90, F100, F4, F4s and even the odd F5 if you are lucky.
F3's seem to go for silly prices but you might be lucky enough to find an FA
Repairs are so costly in my country that a replacement camera is almost always cheaper than the repair.
If funds were tight for me, I would choose a Nikomat/Nikkormat FTN and get back to shooting film as soon as possible.
Good luck in your search
Tom