Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon EM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Nikon EM Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic camera - smallest SLR Nikon ever made! I had one ages ago and loved it. Keep a lookout for a cheap FG-20 as well - that's a really underrated camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infamous "SLR for Women" http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/cousins/cousins11-e/index.htm

I suppose it was the film equivalant of the D40.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Nikon body I have. Not very versatile in features, but not bad.
Well, my copy does no longer show the shutter speed, although it exposes correctly. No idea why...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love/hate thing for the EM. I had two that broke down on me with
the film advance. Mad My Nikon F probably weighs twice as much, but a more
reliable camera doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many Nikon film cameras but the only one I ever wanted to keep and I still have and use is the little simple EM.
I have owned it since about 1990 and used it a lot and it has always behaved perfectly. Certainly not the best or in anyway the most versatile camera Nikon made but its simple design makes for quick use and is ideal when you just want to take photos rather than play with the camera.
The standard lens for the camera was the f1.8 50mm E series which is very good, I have even been know to use it on my Pentax DSLR. yes it fits and goes to infinity.
I have a power winder for the EM but rarely use it as it doesn't help the balance of the camera.
I have recently used it to test out the Peleng 8mm fisheye on FF (Not a good idea) but I also did a few shots with more normal lenses and posted a couple of them at another place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Im the odd man out but I think its plain ugly.. how did nikon think this was 'cute'? its competition, the oly OM and Pentax ME/MX are better cameras by far concerning cosmetics. those blue plastic buttons... ughh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Séamuis wrote:
maybe Im the odd man out but I think its plain ugly.. how did nikon think this was 'cute'? its competition, the oly OM and Pentax ME/MX are better cameras by far concerning cosmetics. those blue plastic buttons... ughh.
I don't think it was designed to compete with thiose cameras- that was more the FE/FM (don't you dare say they're ugly Wink ). It was very much a first SLR for people moving up from point and shoots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EM was definitely not designed to compete with the OM series or the Pentax ME. This was your basic point and shoot (with manual focus) back in the day. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has silver/chrome buttons.
The only thing I never liked is the size of the NIKON lettering and how it stands out on the black body. I long ago painted those letters black