Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon EM question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Nikon EM question Reply with quote

Picked this one up because it was in the neighborhood, it was cheap and i got curious..... i usually have absolutely nothing with Nikon gear because it's been giving me headaches everytime i got one in my hands... and this one's doing it again!

Well, here is the problem: it will only fire in the 1/90 sec speed. Everything works, i put in 2 new batteries and the meter goes up and down nicely, the battery-check light works and the "beeps" work. I even tried it with some old roll of test-film, i read somewhere it behaves differently with a film inside, it does: the meter will only work from frame number one and on. But it will still not fire another shutter speed when in auto-mode.....

Anyone here knows what i am doing wrong or what the problem could be?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the manual? There is a copy on the Butkus site:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_em/nikon_em.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's set to or stuck in flash sync? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i've read the manual... followed all the steps, even with a film inside.

It's not "stuck", i can switch it to "auto", the meter shows all speeds when i turn the aperture or point it in the light or dark, but the shutter always fires the same speed. Bulb works though.

Thanks for thinking with me!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking the batteries out and firing the shutter in auto. It should fire at around 1/500 - 1/000th (a number of other SLRs of the time had this feature). Then fire it at the M90 setting, then back tae auto. Replace the batteries and try again in auto. Failing that, ah'm out of ideas and can only suggest an electronic fault as, in M90 , the camera's operating mechanically. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything else that requires batteries is working, but the shutter fires only at its two mechanical speeds, this seems to be a clear indication to me that the electronic control of the shutter is not working. Might be something as simple as a pinched wire or a cold solder joint.