Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon DSLR, MF lenses, and infinite focussing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Nikon DSLR, MF lenses, and infinite focussing Reply with quote

Hi all,

A friend of mine has Nikon D80 and I have been trying to convince her to use non-nikon MF lenses. But she told me that she has heard that Nikon has problem with infinite focussing when an adapter is used.
Could someone please explain?

cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Look at this :

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

On the table, all the camera system lenses that has a "Flange to Focal Plane" distance smaller than Nikon will not fit on a Nikon body without any optical adaptor. Ans such optical adaptor should be avoided because of poor optical quality.

EOS Canon bodies are better fo using foreign lenses as the "Flange to Focal Plane" distance is small.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ,

Nikon has an registered distance (or flange to focal plane distance) (distance between sensor/film and mount) of 46.50 mm. So theoretically can use lenses which have a registered distance equal with at least 46.50 mm (see here) using the proper adapter (and optical element less adapter) and be able to focus to infinity.
For example if using an adapter, you can mount an M42 lens this one will not be able to focus to infinity because the registered distance of M42 (screw mount) cameras and lenses is 45.45mm (less then Nikon's one). http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm
An example concerning Canon EOS:
http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
Same principle is applied to Nikon too.
Hope I helped.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - double posting Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few Nikon fit third-party lenses available ranging from humble Vivitars to Voigtlander SL's, plus the Tamron Adaptal's etc. but the flange problem does make using M42 lenses a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it acts like a tube insert. You are left with a lens that will not focus as FAR as infinity, but it will focus close up. Thus for relatively close work (not necessarily macro) M42 lenses will work - this is a very humble Industar 50/3.5 on a Nikon:

patrickh

Last edited by patrickh on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Actually it acts like a tube insert. You are left with a lens that will not focus as FAR as infinity, but it will focus close up. Thus for relatively close work (not necessarily macro) M42 lenses will work - this is a very humble Industar 50/2.8 on a Nikon:

patrickh

Thanks for that patrick. How limited was the focusing distance, and which adaptor did you use? I haven't tried one in about 10 yrs when I picked one up for my old FE and could only get to about 3-4 metres.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Richard

That was about it with the 35 Flektogon and the Industar.

@Seymore

And indeed some of them are Russian lenses. I have obtained from Attila two beauts: Kaleinar 100/2.8 and the Arsat 50. One of my all time favourites is a Voigtlander 90/3.5 - MF and wonderfully built. The new Zeiss MF lenses are reputed to be fantastic, but they are also molto expensivo.

One can only hope that Nikon will eventually make the change in their mounting system in such a way that the old lenses can be mounted on an adapter - and that implies shortening the distance to the film plane.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
One can only hope that Nikon will eventually make the change in their mounting system in such a way that the old lenses can be mounted on an adapter - and that implies shortening the distance to the film plane.

patrickh

Far be it from me to get in the way of your "wish fulfillment" Patrick,
but Nikon feels it's simply not in their best interest. Something about
their wanting you to buy their lenses for their bodies.

Here lies the darker side of Nikon...lamentable, for I would certainly luv
to go back to them as their camera bodies are such a pleasure to use.

Nikon won't even go through with the effort of modifying the mount to
enable using pre-AI lenses. Or an OEM adapter, if that's what is required.

I'm still thinking about getting a used D50 anyway for I'm buying only lenses
that have either M42 or Nikon, that way I'll have a nice assortment when the
D50 comes my way.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

I know you are correct about the corporate intent and the profit motive driver, but nikon's mount is becoming increasingly troublesome to them. I see the G version as a real retrograde step in which they were trying to enhance the "lock" on the lens supply side - but it has failed miserably. They have also fallen waaaaay behind Canon in perception of technological advance - check out the photographers' box at almost any event and that used to be "owned" by Nikon. Their problem is the anti-shake - they cannot seem to get it right and as a result have laughably few lenses available with it. Not one single new general purpose prime in maybe ten years. My belief is that they will have to do something. This is pushing them as competition did with the full frame issue - they expressed the firmest intent to stay away from the FF chip, but along comes the D3!I think Nikon needs to do something to get the pros back behind the viewfinder or they are going to see a gradual erosion of their position.
After all that - no they wont answer my wishes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore

Nikon's quality remains superb, and you may well be right about the cause of their "backwardness". I chose Nikon because of the backward compatibility issue - almost no other manufacturer has a mount that has stayed virtually unchanged over such a long period. I still have no regrets with my choice - the lenses are more than I can ever do justice to and the camera's mechanics are the envy of the other major manufacturers ( and the D3 and D300 seem to be keeping that lead). No, I am only upset that a few mm on the mount makes life a bit frustrating. Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points. I actually think Nikon are undergoing a big resurgance having languished behind Canon for the last 20 years. The reason they don't bother much with sub 200mm primes is that the pro's are quite happy with the 2.8 constant aperture zooms. All the long teles have just been updated with VR which is where the pro market competion is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must remember one thing: we manual focus users are an island in a big ocean of autofocus consumers. It will certainly not be us to make the plans of Nikon change.
For those of us wanting to use more manual lenses than simply Nikon's and those made for Nikon, there is only one but simple answer: buy a Canon camera. Maybe used. It won't break your finances. A new 400D costs about 600 Euros nowadays and until December there is the Canon rebate. Used 350Ds costs about 350-400 Euros on Ebay.
If you are really into manual lenses than this is the only logical move to make - and you can of course continue to use your Nikon high end cameras with the Nikon lenses.
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for good info.

I only wanted to sell my unwanted M42 lenses to my Nikon user friend Crying or Very sad I do not think she will buy off me now Crying or Very sad

Bright side, though, I am a Canon user Very Happy . Luck of draw really. Laughing

cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
patrickh wrote:

patrickh

Far be it from me to get in the way of your "wish fulfillment" Patrick,
but Nikon feels it's simply not in their best interest. Something about
their wanting you to buy their lenses for their bodies.

Here lies the darker side of Nikon...lamentable, for I would certainly luv
to go back to them as their camera bodies are such a pleasure to use.

Nikon won't even go through with the effort of modifying the mount to
enable using pre-AI lenses. Or an OEM adapter, if that's what is required.

I'm still thinking about getting a used D50 anyway for I'm buying only lenses
that have either M42 or Nikon, that way I'll have a nice assortment when the
D50 comes my way.

Bill

I was told by a local Nikon/Canon repair guy that the D40 is a great fit for old, ANY old Nikkors...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:

I was told by a local Nikon/Canon repair guy that the D40 is a great fit for old, ANY old Nikkors...

Yes, its true. See the last table (D40 and D40x row) http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly good news about the D40/D40x, looks like a course
change for me....

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
I've even found it beneficial to spend the money to get pre-AI lenses AI'd. This also increases the value of the lens.

Chris, where do you send your lenses to get AI'd? Nikon no longer has
this service, unless it's been a recent change.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have more money again I believe I will buy a Nikkor again. We have a good saying THE DOG is GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG others just created. I have same opinion from Nikon cameras, to me CAMERA = NIKON nothing else.