Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon DSLR and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally decided to get a DSLR, after many years of resisting to take the "digital" plunge, my choice of camera was predicated solely on one thing, the fact that I had a couple dozen AI and AIS lenses from 16mm to 600mm and compatibility was a hard and fast requirement. Autofocus held no fascination for me. Why should it? I had been focusing manually for 40 years and it posed no limitations for me. I had owned two zooms in my life, an 80-200mm f/4.5 non-AI and 36-72mm f/3.5 Series E, but they too were gone by this time. I also had no desire whatsoever to get anything in DX format as I did not want my oft used 20mm Nikkor to become a 30mm Nikkor, I already had a 35mm Nikkor. The D3 series at the time was more than I was willing to pay so the D700 with the accessory battery pack seemed to be the best alternative. Still, it came to about 3 grand, which was a hard sell to my wife. I explained to her that at the time I got my F2 and MD-2, the price back then was probably close in "equivalent dollars" to what the D700 was costing me. 3 years on I am still very happy with it though I am still a somewhat ambivalent when it comes to digital. The D700 is a workhorse in work where a client wants proof sheets that day, something that would be very difficult to pull off with film since I do not do photography as a full time profession. Having looked at one in a camera store, several trusty Nikkors in hand, it became immediately obvious to me that the standard focusing screen simply was not going to cut it. I ordered a microprism/ground glass screen from focusingscreen.com the same day I ordered my D700. It arrived the day after the camera did. It took 10 minutes to swap out the screens and it has worked out beautifully. I have been looking for a more up to date camera and looked hard at the D800 but since no one offered manual focusing screens at the time, I looked at a D3X as D3 screens were plentiful. Now that focusingscreen.com makes screens for the D800 I may look at it again later on this year.

In spite of all of this, 95% of all of my personal images are still shot with film, the majority of which are shot with the Hasselblad unless I need an equivalent focal length I do not have with the Blad

Last edited by NikonAIS on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I was wondering which focal length is the best to shoot full length portraits on a DX cropped sensor camera (Nikon D3100)? I own a Carl Zess Pancolar 50/1.8 and Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short. What focal lengths should I check out and which lens are the best?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otto_tz wrote:
Hi everyone. I was wondering which focal length is the best to shoot full length portraits on a DX cropped sensor camera (Nikon D3100)? I own a Carl Zess Pancolar 50/1.8 and Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short. What focal lengths should I check out and which lens are the best?

this was answered in your other post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my D610 today....focuses great with manual focus lenses I've got....the LED focus dot confirms my eye perfectly Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: 300mm/4.5 Nikkor-H on the D610 Reply with quote

1st day out with the big gun...the 300mm/4.5 Nikkor-H on the D610....all shot wide open @ ISO 3200

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
take also a look at this table:

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

looks like pre AI lenses shouldn`t be mounted on a D200...?
though at the end in the green note 2, it says:

"The metering systems in these bodies require the microprocessor used in autofocus lenses (and a few unusual manual models). As a result, ambient light cannot be metered when using AI, AI-s or Series E lenses. Fortunately however, aperture and shutter speed can be set manually."

which is not true for bodies like D200 and above, i think

i`m really new to MF lenses, so take this with a grain of salt

The only Nikon DSLR I am aware of that can accept Non-AI Nikkors is the Df. The aperture coupling prong can be flipped out of the way like the F3 and F4.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D3100 accepts them. Manual only but it works.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon D850 and 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS Nikkor. Nikon's "old glass" still works brilliantly on digital cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonAIS wrote:
The only Nikon DSLR I am aware of that can accept Non-AI Nikkors is the Df. The aperture coupling prong can be flipped out of the way like the F3 and F4.

D3x00's and D5x00 should be OK. Admittedly, I've haven't seen latest models, but up to D3200 and D5200 non-Ai's work fine despite what the manual or the Nikonians table says. Of course the camera goes completely dumb on you, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
An if you are willing to use a rasp, you can convert your Non-Ai to Ai lenses!

Here is a nice site with full rundown how to do it and where to file to get the correct aperture reading on bodies D200 and above and the whole D1 series.

http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html

Just did this with my Nikkor-Q 135 f2.8 and it works absolutely fine!

I used a Dremel tool and a fine cut off wheel and it worked perfectly.