Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D50 vs. Olympus E-1 Manual Focus Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Nikon D50 vs. Olympus E-1 Manual Focus Lenses Reply with quote

Perhaps 2x crop factor, but performance of the same lens is different on this two camera.

For example Tamron SP lenses are superb performers on Nikon D50 and performance is less on Olympus E-1.

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.8 perform very well on both camera etc.
Any thought ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by performance you mean sharpness, it's possible that lenses that appear very sharp at smaller enlargement might look less sharp at bigger enlargement, if the apparent sharpness they display is due more to microcontrast quality than to actual lens resolvance. So a higher enlargement would reveal more the actual resolvance and decrease the visual effect of the microcontrast.

This is the only reason that I can think of to justify a decrease in detail quality from a 1.6x to a 2x crop camera.

As normal consequence the opposite would happen (a gain in IQ with the higher crop factor).

_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the sharpness, color rendering also different.Pancolar has same color on both camera. Kiron was superb sharp on D50 on Olympus so-so. I like better Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AIS than Kiron hmm. If I have a chance to test again with D50 I will do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about the Olympus is that it gives you metering - manual or aperture priority. That's very handy. Also, there are more adapters available for 4/3 than there is for Nikon. The E-1 is the MF lens user's dream camera! (Or certainly my dream camera anyway.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the reason of this might be that the sensor on the Olympus is too small for the resolution of some lenses.

A lens with excellent resolution will probably perform just as well on the Olympus, since the lens still captures enough details per pixel. The lens captures more detail than the camera, ideal situation.

lens resolution > camera resolution (larger resolution = more detail)

However, with a more mediocre lens, the sensor may be too small, in a way that 2 or more pixels are capturing the same detail. The camera can capture more detail than the lens, not an ideal situation.

lens resolution < camera resolution

I might be wrong, but I read that somewhere...

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Tom. The lenses we're talking about were made to be used (mainly) for 35mm film. Strictly, a film camera body is just a box for keeping the film in the dark, holding it in the right place, and accurately exposing it to the light coming through the lens for the required time. Apart from exposure time, the body has no involvement on picture quality - that's the function of the lens.

But in this sense digi cameras are completely different. Largely speaking, each make and model of camera has its own unique sensor of varying sizes and capabilities, and different hardware and software to create and store the digital images. So compared to film cameras there are lots of new factors besides the lens that affect the image quality. I don't know the reason why a particular lens works well on one camera and not on another, but I would say that because of these new factors, it's highly likely there will be differences in IQ with different lens/camera combinations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the finest lenses like Nikkor AIS works perfect on Olympus-E1 other lenses are mixed some works perfect some average performer compare with D50. Really surprise some really old lens are great performer on Olympus like Novoflex 40cm 5.6 and Steinheil Quinar 135mm. Sure, finest ones like Pancolar or Flektogon just perform very well. Last time I was shocked an 135m Auto-Revunenon what I got from Carsten was also a great performer.