Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D40x any experience ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Nikon D40x any experience ? Reply with quote

I just saw this camera in local shop I have such a good opinion about D50, I am curious if any body have it. How this camera perform with manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about metering... I think you cant not used in-built meter...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, under Nikon D200 impossible, but I was fine without metering with Nikon D50 it has excellent back LCD. Best what ever seen included all Canon and Olympus. So metering wasn't I pain and focus confirmation works perfect with any manual lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a d40, which I really like. The d40x seems somewhat expensive to me over the regular d40 for what you get. A 10mp sensor that may or may not be as well made as the 6mp on the d40, a slower flash sync, and a larger price tag.

No metering on old manual lenses doesn't really bother me. You get pretty good at guessing. Most of my guesses are dead on, if not 2-3 shutter stops off. I just look at the rear display and press "down" on the joystick to bring up the one-color histogram. That verifies my guess at the exposure. I've shot maybe 3000 exposures on manual with non-metering glass. It's really much more rewarding than having the camera do it all for you.

Out of my 3 manual lenses, only one metered correctly on the d200 - my old Nikkor macro lens. My Vivitar Series 1 wouldn't meter. My Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 doesn't mount.

The d200 is a wonderful camera, but for just wandering around town and playing with my manual lenses, I find the d40 easier to use. It gets out of my way and lets me quickly take good photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing - I've got the magnifying eyepiece mounted on my d40. Nikon lists the correct part number on their website, but I think it's the same one the d200 uses. It makes manual focus MUCH easier. I can still see the whole viewfinder. It's a great upgrade, especially with a real eyecup. I'm currently using a Canon AE-1 rubber eyecup. So comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I agree with you fully metering is not so important if your camera has good black LCD. I was satisfied with my D50 100% perhaps D40m more better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The d40 will meter with any modern lens, but can only autofocus AF-S lenses, making MOST modern lenses MF only. As far as I know, they didn't add any firmware to make the d40x meter non-computerized lenses.

Not to speak badly about the d50, but the rear display on the d40/d200 make the d50/d70 look dim and dated. The new displays are just wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected this answer about D40 back LCD , same revolution happen with Canon D400 has great display.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revlimiter wrote:

No metering on old manual lenses doesn't really bother me. You get pretty good at guessing. Most of my guesses are dead on, if not 2-3 shutter stops off. I just look at the rear display and press "down" on the joystick to bring up the one-color histogram.

You can also get three-color histograms on the D40, which is more accurate. Its hidden under the silly special effects menus, but its still very useful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D40/D40x is also something I'm interested in, as I plan on acquiring
more pre-AI Nikon lenses. I've seen some great pics from both bodies,
so I know they can perform.

But I'm also waiting to see what the new Pentax K200D looks like...

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revlimiter wrote:
One more thing - I've got the magnifying eyepiece mounted on my d40. Nikon lists the correct part number on their website, but I think it's the same one the d200 uses. It makes manual focus MUCH easier. I can still see the whole viewfinder. It's a great upgrade, especially with a real eyecup. I'm currently using a Canon AE-1 rubber eyecup. So comfortable.

I also have this adapter on my D40 - its the DK-21M and is indeed the same one as is used on D200. in fact some stores say its D200 only which is not true. Also some stores have the wrong picture and show a round one for the D1 Smile not the rectangular one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried my friend's D40x with my Nikkor 50mm f1.2 lens, sets the ISO 100 at f2 and using the natural lighting really amazes me, pity I didn't copy that shot to prove how good it is.........I'll try to get the copy asap and post it here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am biased and love my nikons - the D200 especially is a great camera for all kinds of reasons - not least being how comfortable it is to the hand. but dont forget Chris' comment on register distance - it's the reason I am going to the Canon 40. I think I shall have the amateur photogs dream when I mate the Canon 40 with the Nikon D200! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@Orio
I can't afford the 5 ! Would love it but everything suggests the IQ of the 40D is on a par with it. Yes I shall miss FF.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

@Orio
I can't afford the 5 ! Would love it but everything suggests the IQ of the 40D is on a par with it. Yes I shall miss FF.
patrickh

THe full frame is the only reason I would buy a second 5D over a new 40D.
Under ALL other respects, from interface to features to technology to image quality, the 40D is certainly a better camera - I feel safe writing this even if I never handled one, because in my opinion, the 400D was already a better camera than the 5D (a bold opinion of mine that made several persons angry over the forums, Laughing ) , except of course for the FF.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect with the arrival of the Nikon D3 that we will see an eventual movement to the FF DSLR for most upmarket prosumers as the technology trickles down, manufacturers recoup investment and buyers demand. So keep hold of your old lenses guys, they are only going to increase in value and usefulness. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I suspect with the arrival of the Nikon D3 that we will see an eventual movement to the FF DSLR for most upmarket prosumers as the technology trickles down, manufacturers recoup investment and buyers demand. So keep hold of your old lenses guys, they are only going to increase in value and usefulness. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

D400 FF?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved to the D40x from an Olympus E-500.

There are things I miss about the Olympus tonality and a certain "something" to the image, but I love the clarity and detail I can get with the D40x. Not arguing one vs. the other, both are great, but I do not regret the D40x.

From what many people say the D40 (6MP) is as good or better, with lower noise. Haven't seen one for comparison.

So far I've only shot a borrowed 50mm/1.8 on the D40x, but it was an enjoyable experience. Will have to look into the magnifying eyecup as Revlimiter and others say.

One thing I miss from the Oly: The ability on the E-500 to set a combination AF+MF mode, so you can fine tune an AF lens' focus on-the-fly manually without flipping a switch. Particularly handy for wildlife. But in a group such as this I would never speak of AF anyway. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to aboard! Thank you for your first post it was interesting reading. You can talk about AF no problem at all, but don't think so many people are interest Laughing I look forward your experience with your new/old cams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Richard

Could well be. Remember the D200 came along to replace the D100 but carried with it almost all the attributes of the D2. I think Nikon is currently held up (and Canon too) by the relative scarcity of the FF sensor - I gather QC throws out a lot and the manufacture is till not fully tied down - but it will be. Anyway - we can live in hope eh?

PS I am coming to Hawkinge at end of March for a couple of weeks. Hope the weather is good for me. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benrobertsabq wrote:

One thing I miss from the Oly: The ability on the E-500 to set a combination AF+MF mode, so you can fine tune an AF lens' focus on-the-fly manually without flipping a switch. Particularly handy for wildlife. But in a group such as this I would never speak of AF anyway. Very Happy

You can get that feature (full-time manual focus overide) on most Nikkor lenses which are AF-S. Most meaning not the very cheap ones Smile look on the side, if the button is marked AM - M then it has manual override; if its A - M then not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
@Richard

Could well be. Remember the D200 came along to replace the D100 but carried with it almost all the attributes of the D2. I think Nikon is currently held up (and Canon too) by the relative scarcity of the FF sensor - I gather QC throws out a lot and the manufacture is till not fully tied down - but it will be. Anyway - we can live in hope eh?

PS I am coming to Hawkinge at end of March for a couple of weeks. Hope the weather is good for me. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

Fingers crossed! I can't justify the jump up to the D300, but FF in a couple of years, maybe...

At the moment we're having the warmest January on record but with it comes grey overcast skies and a fair bit of rain... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Attila.

ChrisLilley wrote:
You can get that feature (full-time manual focus overide) on most Nikkor lenses which are AF-S. Most meaning not the very cheap ones Smile look on the side, if the button is marked AM - M then it has manual override; if its A - M then not.

Ah, good to know. That makes me happy. I am still new to Nikon gear, just have the cheap lenses at the moment. And hunting some vintage MF lenses to play with. The AF+MF was set in the camera menu on the E-500, different than the on-lens setting stuff for Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benrobertsabq wrote:
I am still new to Nikon gear, just have the cheap lenses at the moment. And hunting some vintage MF lenses to play with.

This site is a great resource for Nikon lens information. Here is the start page for MF zooms
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/index.htm
and if you scroll down to the bottom there are links for all different focal lengths for primes. The historical development of each lens is well described. Really helps when looking at second hand lenses Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, that site is great. I've been using it as my "bible" for hunting MF lenses.

I've found lots of sites that have compatibility tables, like Ken Rockwell's and Thom Hogan's, but Bj?rn R?rslett's site, and particularly his overview of lenses, http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html also has a lot of great insight on MF lenses so far for me.

Any other recommendations for resources? I am always game for something new. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look on our link section...