Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

### Nikon AIS 35mm F1.4 -- white ring?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: ### Nikon AIS 35mm F1.4 -- white ring? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm a new member, however a longtime reader here.

Over the years, I've come across a number of copies of the nikon 35mm 1.4 AIS from different sites and places that share a same characteristic: it has a white substance-like ring in the area where the front element meets the inner barrel. I actually own a copy as well. At first, it looks like it's on the glass itself(due to the reflection in the glass), but upon closer inspection it's not, it's part of the piece that holds the front element.

Does anyone know the story/history behind this? I've done quite an extensive research on the web only to fall short in discovering the truth behind this.

Anyone here owns a similar copy? Would really appreciate any info.
Thanks.

Last edited by lokismiles on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, nice to see you here !

These pictures are taken from my lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is i've only seen the described anomally in the 35mm F1.4 AIS version.
Attila, yours is AI and I've never seen that issue in AI versions. Or any other nikkor manual lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some examples, bear in mind the front element reflects a lot of the markings, thus the appearance can be quite deceptive, 2nd pic show it more clearly(inner ring is from reflection):

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this with some Zuiko lenses as well. Nothing to fret over Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the black paint that goes off the lens edges.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a great lens

patrickh