Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 6mm f/2.8 up for grabs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Nikon 6mm f/2.8 up for grabs Reply with quote

Quote:
"An exceptionally rare and equally large Nikon lens has turned up for sale in London. The 11.5 pound, 6mm f/2.8 lens has a 220 degree viewing angle, a 24x36mm image area, and was intended for "scientific and industrial purposes". According to The British Journal of Photography, the lens was originally announced at the 1970 Photokina photography trade show, strictly made-to-order, and went into limited production in 1972. It is currently for sale for 100,000, or roughly $161,210, on the Grays of Westminster website. That's a small price to pay for a lens that can clearly see into your very soul." - www.theverge.com

Last edited by ChromaticAberration on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn! looks like HAL 9000 lost his eye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw this lens I think it reached only 40.000.- on Ebay. So 100.000 GBP is not really a bargain price Wink Very Happy

I thought HAL 9000 was only made from a fisheye converter (forgot which brand but I read somewhere here in the forum) Wink

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many copies of that where made? someone knows?
i just wanna consider my chances of buying a new apartment and such....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
The last time I saw this lens I think it reached only 40.000.- on Ebay. So 100.000 GBP is not really a bargain price Wink Very Happy

I thought HAL 9000 was only made from a fisheye converter (forgot which brand but I read somewhere here in the forum) Wink

I couldn't resist to google Hal 9000 so here's what Wikipedia says :

The HAL 9000 prop eye lens and HAL point-of-view lens

HAL's POV shots were created with a Cinerama 160-degree Fairchild-Curtis wide-angle lens. This lens is about 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter, while HAL's prop eye lens is about 3 inches (7.6 cm) in diameter. Stanley Kubrick chose to use the large Fairchild-Curtis lens to shoot the HAL 9000 POV shots because he needed a wide-angle fisheye lens that would fit onto his shooting camera, and this was the only lens at the time that would work. The HAL 9000 faceplate, less lens, was discovered in a junk shop in Paddington, London, in the early seventies by Chris Randall.[20] Research revealed that the original lens was a Nikon Nikkor 8mm F8. This was found along with the key to HAL's Brain Room. Both items were purchased for ten shillings (0.50) The collection was sold at a Christies auction in 2010 for 17,500.