Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 50 f1,2 not so sharp
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Nikon 50 f1,2 not so sharp Reply with quote

Hi. I got this lens in exchange of others and I compared it immediately to my 55mm f 1,2 AI only to realise that @ 1,2 the 55mm is sharper AND has more contrast than the 50. I understand it is supposed to be the opposite. Now I see that the 50 has been knocked because a small dent on the filter ring has been fixed. It has also been opened because the fastening things (slots ?) on the front ring show some work on them. There is no other external sign of work or damage, but the aperture ring doesn't turn as it should either. It feel a bit hard and "sticky" . I realise the lens has been worked upon, but now my question is, is it possible to misalign something while fixing a dent, in such a way that the lens doesn't perform anymore the way it should ? And should I send it out again to be checked ? Thanks a lot for reading.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked on this lens, but with other lenses I've worked on, I've found that there is usually only one way for an element to rest in its receptacle, such that collimation shouldn't be a problem. But there's always the chance that this isn't always the case. Besides, if it's been opened up to the point that elements have been removed, it's at least remotely possible that one or more may have been flipped around.

If it were mine, I'd take it to a good repair tech and have him take a look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael. I think you're right about the check thing. This is always frustrating here since the workshops are far and beyond our borders. I'm gonna wait a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 50 f1,2 not so sharp Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi. I got this lens in exchange of others and I compared it immediately to my 55mm f 1,2 AI only to realise that @ 1,2 the 55mm is sharper AND has more contrast than the 50. I understand it is supposed to be the opposite. Now I see that the 50 has been knocked because a small dent on the filter ring has been fixed. It has also been opened because the fastening things (slots ?) on the front ring show some work on them. There is no other external sign of work or damage, but the aperture ring doesn't turn as it should either. It feel a bit hard and "sticky" . I realise the lens has been worked upon, but now my question is, is it possible to misalign something while fixing a dent, in such a way that the lens doesn't perform anymore the way it should ? And should I send it out again to be checked ? Thanks a lot for reading.

I think neither the dent, nor the fix for it are responsible.
It's a tough job to bump optics out of alignment in the majority of the old lenses.

However misalignment can lead to low-ish sharpness and contrast, I've seen this on 50/1.4 lens.
The most probable causes would be manufacturing error (e.g. it was made like this right from the factory) or improper reassembly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aidaho. If it is so, then it's bad news indeed... Before sending it somewhere I think I'll talk to the technician first. Maybe that is the reason why the previous owner let it go easily... Thanks for your thought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, that's something that hadn't occurred to me, but which I now think is a good possibility. It might be that when that lens was bumped, if it were bumped hard enough and at the right angle, the lens barrel itself might have gotten tweaked. You mentioned a rough spot in the focusing. This might be symptomatic. If the barrel was distorted, no amount of collimation will correct the problem. If this is indeed the case, the only way to salvage the situation that I can see would be to swap the glass from yours into another lens that might have bad glass but be otherwise OK.