Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-S.C 55mm f1.2..My new dream lens arrived!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-S.C 55mm f1.2..My new dream lens arrived! Reply with quote

This lens has quite a story, a story of friendship and a good heart!

Some days ago, I was watching a lens that I never have dreamt of buying on ebay. I was surprised that it didn't really get expensive, so I decided to "snipe" it.
When I wanted to bid some seconds before the auction ended, my bid didn't get through any more, since somebody else gave a higher bid before I could.
"Oh no", I thought, "somebody has sniped it out of my hands!"

When, quite frustrated, I looked at the auction again, I saw that the winner - and the better sniper - was ... Attila!!!

Again, I was surprised but then I thought, "OK, at least it is a person who loves lenses as much as I do, maybe even more..."

So I wrote a PM to Attila and told him what happened and to congratulate him.

Even more I was surprised when the next day, Attila answered me and said that he would step back and leave this lens to me. I was a little embarrassed first, such a kind-hearted offer!

After Attila has confirmed that he was really serious about it, I accepted and paid for the lens. The seller did not object when we asked him to send it it me and today I got the lens.

It really is a kind of dream lens, since it is not only the fastest lens I have, and most probably the fastest one I will ever have, it also bears my initials in its name:

A Nikkor-S.C 55mm f1.2 (!)

Here it is:

(Bad shot with a compact digicam, just quickly done to show the lens.)

Thank you very much again, Attila. I owe you a big favour!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Carsten. It looks gorgeous. I saw one of these for sale in Italy but it had a prohibitive price.
Looking forward to see some pictures. I imagine you will shoot mostly portraits as the FOV on the 350D corresponds to that of a portrait lens. Portraits for sure, night scenes, and dark interiors, are the natural subjects for this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome Carsten! We are stronger together I believe in that, Carsten did a lot of things to improve this site success. I am glad really a good lens in a good hands.I look forward your samples and review dear my friend!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when in another thread, I wrote that I am happy with my f1.4 Tomioka and that I didn't think that I ever would buy an f1.2?
Well, things change quickly in the land of lenses... Wink

The first shots are made, "subject" was my daughter shortly before dinner tonight. No flash, ISO400 and no movement blur whatsoever.

The lens is - of course - not really sharp at f1.2, you have to close it to f4 to get great sharpness, but the colour rendering (typical pre-AI Nikkor) and the bokeh are fantastic! And it just feels good to use this lens.

I consider it a great buy, esp. since I got it for € 145,- incl. shipping to Germany!

I'd like to agree to Erez. This attitude is why this forum is such a great place! Thanks again, Attila!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio and me we both are were very disappointed about other forum administrator this was the main reason why this forum was born, hopefully we will keep together this great community.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio and me we both are were very disappointed about other forum administrator this was the main reason why this forum was born, hopefully we will keep together this great community.

Yes, I remember and I completely understand your reaction!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks a cracker! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are an example of why f1.2 can be very useful!

This picture was taken at ISO400, 1/60s and f2.8, parameters that are possible with almost any 50mm lens:

Just to show you how dark the room was!

This picture was taken at ISO1600, 1/60 and f1.2, with the new Nikkor 55:

In none of these cases I used post-production, simply 350D-JPEG.

That's quite a difference. F1.2 can be useful sometimes... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

That's quite a difference. F1.2 can be useful sometimes... Wink

And you will fully appreciate that f/1.2 when you will go to photograph events like evening street parades or evening sports or in-tenth circus or whatever other event where people move fast and there is little available light. That half stop more will sometimes make the difference between a good photo and a blurred one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept my 1.2 lens because with 1.4 lens I couldn't take good captures from my bird.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I kept my 1.2 lens because with 1.4 lens I couldn't take good captures from my bird.

Yes, if you have a normal speed lens, you can cope well with either fast movement, or low ambient light, but not both at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first quick picture of my little darling:

Inside, light from the window behind her, ISO 400, 1/320, wide open, nothing else...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photo, Carsten!
It shows that this lens is inspiring you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I realise that f1.2 is not easy to shoot. There is a little front focus in this picture. I tried to focus (AF-confirm) on her eyes. Either I (or she) moved a little or I just missed it a bit. With such a shallow DoF it is pretty hard to hit!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes not easy but if you can get it, result should wonderful. Excellent capture !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks! I realise that f1.2 is not easy to shoot. There is a little front focus in this picture. I tried to focus (AF-confirm) on her eyes. Either I (or she) moved a little or I just missed it a bit. With such a shallow DoF it is pretty hard to hit!

Every rule must be taken "cum grano salis", like my ancestors used to say.
In this case, the eyes are not so much important, because she is looking elsewhere and the eyes are not even visible in the picture. The hair, instead, is the most prominent feature, and therefore I find it correct that the hair gets the main focus attention.
The soft blur on the rest of the image concentrates the attention on the hair in a poetic way.

I think that the photo is perfect as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Congrats!!!
I am joining into the Nikkor's world, this lens is in my wish list, too. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in the club!! Nikkor for ever !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to such a lens, Carsten. Sounds like my emotions after buying the Helios 40-2 some time ago.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
terrific capture!
now i am going to have to get a 1.2 lens...

Oh, I think you'll be fine with your 1.5 Helios... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten

What a little doll! and I like the effect with that soft focus at 1.2. That lens has a lot of followers who swear by it on some of the nikon forums. Do continue to enjoy it and your lovely daughter (I have four of them so I know what you are going through).

patrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
...I have four of them so I know what you are going through...

Thanks, Patrick. In about six weeks we will be four, my wife is expecting a little boy. Hence this lens came in time. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! New model! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carl.. thats in my list for this winter...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Carl and Attila!. Nice lens and nice history...
And nice shots!. A really fast lens.

On the other hand, I've thought that might be worth to share our eBay nicks, to avoid bidding against the other colleagues Wink

Mine is Zirkuit...

Best regards,
Jes.