Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor S Auto 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Nikkor S Auto 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

It's not a Minolta lens. Shocked
I've started March a little different. I've been chasing one of these on and off for about 6 months.I think the price is okay versus condition. Not my best deal, but I'm happy with it.Sadly I don't have an adapter yet, so I'm sure I will get the lens long before the adapter. Sad
Anyone have a pictures taken by the S version?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor S Auto 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I think the price is okay versus condition.

$17.50 because scratch marks on the front element. I think this is one of the "great bargains".
'
edit: http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-pirces-in-germany-t47657.html
look at the German prices (which are closer to ours ..)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda funny. This seller had another one ending about the same time in worse condition and they both sold for the same amount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor S Auto 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
walter g wrote:
I think the price is okay versus condition.

$17.50 because scratch marks on the front element. I think this is one of the "great bargains".
'
edit: http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-pirces-in-germany-t47657.html
look at the German prices (which are closer to ours ..)

Shocked Shocked

Even the US prices are higher then I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor S Auto 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Anyone have a pictures taken by the S version?

just a handful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157623051543673/with/4282038422/
a great performing lens, it is just it's bigger size, not good fit on my Pentax dSLR and that I prefer the handling of my Taks why I have not used it more often

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like a lens that looks well used. This one has suffered those dents from maybe a fall or two. I'd be most concerned about the comment regarding the uneven focus ring movement as it might indicate a misalignment from the fall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Personally, I like a lens that looks well used. This one has suffered those dents from maybe a fall or two. I'd be most concerned about the comment regarding the uneven focus ring movement as it might indicate a misalignment from the fall.

I won the one in the first post. The one with the dents I put in a low bid and lost. I was just suprised they sold for the exact same money.They did mention slight uneven focus on this one the one I won also. I hope it's just the lube drying out. We shall see.

For some reason Nikkor lenses from this period don't seem to survive very well, it seems like they have alot more condition issues then there competitors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused!
Are Nikkor S lenses rangefinder lenses (Nikon S mount)??

PS: Also Nikon microscope lenses are more expensive in europe. I guess Nikon is simply a little less common here?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this 1974, been used over 30 years and over-hauled once.

Although it is S.C (next version of S only), it has lived well. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I'm a little confused?
Are Nikkor S lenses rangefinder lenses or only Nikon S lenses??

there are Nikkor-S 50mmF1.4 both in Nikon F mount and in "S" rangefinder mount, even also in Leica "L" mount. I don't know if one can tell them apart from their name, the ones in question here are in F mount for Nikon SLR.
the 'S' denotes how many elements the lens is made of, S for 'septem' that the lens is made of 7 elements, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkor#Lenses_for_Nikon_F-mount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan, thank you for the samples. Smile

Koji, that lens is beautiful, sadly I can only afford user quality ones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it today. It's nicer then I expected. The uneven focus, the only thing I notice there ia a couple mm play before the focus engages. I tried it handheld and don't see any problems. I have an adapter on order and I will post some test pics then.
I think it's wasteful to have an adapter and only one lens for it, so I will probably buy 3 or 4 more Nikkor lenses for it. Smile

Here is a quick pic with my P/S cam.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all works well, you will love this one. A great lens,

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Nikkor 50/1.4 S.C. for a long time. All test results I've seen tell me that it is inferior to any other Nikon 50 I have (50/1.8 Ais, 50/1.2 Ai, AF-S 50/1.4G), yet when I pick up a 50 to use, this is my preference, unless I need to shoot in low light. My 50 S.C. doesn't work well wide open; needs to be stopped down a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I hope it dosen't have any issues. Now I just need to wait for the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the adapter from big_is,but didn't really get to try it much. Too overcast.I won't get to really try it until after the end of the month.
Anyway this is at f1.4, slightly adjusted, and sharpened.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
I bought this 1974, been used over 30 years and over-hauled once.

Although it is S.C (next version of S only), it has lived well. Very Happy

The "C" refers to it's multicoating, Nice lens you have,
I have the matching 24/2.8-N.C, 35/2-O.C, 35/2.8 Shift, & 55/1.2-S.C

I also have a 35/2.8-S that matches the OP's lens, it's well worth getting if you like the 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35 2.8 S is on my list to watch.

One more shot Nikkor S 50 1.4 at 1.4. EDIT I added the post shot. By looking at the lens from the back against a strong light, there are quite abit of micro scratches covering the whole front element. The other elements are perfect. I guess this hurts micro contrast and sharpness. I did bump the contrast on these images a little. These are Jpegs, I don't have enough memory to process RAW images.
Comments are welcome. I don't know what to expect from this lens performance wise.

Magnolia Blossom

Post at 1.4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was routinely editing my 10MP RAW's in LR2 on my laptop with XP + 1GB of ram, so ram shouldn't be a big reason.
Just use a hood on your 50 to keep the sun off it and I doubt you'll see much if any degradation in your images, the rear element is a different story.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

This

was

shot

with

this

lens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I need to pick up a hood for this lens, but I'm trying to find an orginal cheap.
I've never upgraded the ram on my 7 year old computer. It's only 512mb right now, and that's not enough. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

This Image was shot with this lens

It's kind of amazing how little image degradation occurs with damage to the front element. I've had seriously dirty front elements still give very sharp images. However, dirty front elements WILL increase lens flare.

I have to ask: What does lens flare look like with this lens? Must be pretty impressive!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I was routinely editing my 10MP RAW's in LR2 on my laptop with XP + 1GB of ram, so ram shouldn't be a big reason.
Just use a hood on your 50 to keep the sun off it and I doubt you'll see much if any degradation in your images, the rear element is a different story.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

Heh! Just followed this link, and the flare IS pretty amazing! Thanks for the link and the post!