Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-s Auto 1:1.2 f=55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Nikkor-s Auto 1:1.2 f=55mm Reply with quote

BY G2

SOME OF MY COLLEAGUES









Last edited by bigeyes on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice portraits, sharp wide open with pleasant bokeh


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portraits indeed...The 3rd one is realy great, what a bokeh Shocked ..and seems to be very sharp as well.....
Are these pictures wide open? I used to have a nikkor 1.2/50mm Ais but it was far to be so sharp wide open......


Last edited by pich900 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BigEyes and welcome here.
Nice pictures.
About the 3rd; bokeh let me think that it was shot wide open because of the round shapes. Am I right, or haw many blades the diaph counts ?
Smile


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai it has 7 rounded blades, if it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S it has 9 straight blades.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
About the 3rd; bokeh let me think that it was shot wide open because of the round shapes. Smile

the DOF seems to be very big for f1,2 but may be I'm wrong!


Esox lucius wrote:
If it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai it has 7 rounded blades, if it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S it has 9 straight blades.

I thought the Nikkor S auto was a 55mm Question
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f5512n.jpg


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing to complain about when it comes to rendering, sharpness, contrast etc.
The bokeh is not perfect, though, but somewhat typical for a fast Nikkor.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is an AUTO S 1.2 it should be 55mm


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
I thought the Nikkor S auto was a 55mm


You thought right. Topic title is misleading.

The lens is either Nikkor-S Auto 55/1.2 or Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai (or Ai-S). The 2x crop factor of the G2 changes everything, it looks quite different so I can't tell which lens it is although I own the 50/1.2 Ai-S. The "cats eyes" have been cropped out by the sensor, and DoF is not as shallow as on full frame - results look distinctively different from what I see on full frame DSLR.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Olivier wrote:
About the 3rd; bokeh let me think that it was shot wide open because of the round shapes. Smile

the DOF seems to be very big for f1,2 but may be I'm wrong!


Esox lucius wrote:
If it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai it has 7 rounded blades, if it's the Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S it has 9 straight blades.

I thought the Nikkor S auto was a 55mm Question
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f5512n.jpg


Yes, you are right! the subject was revised.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this nice bokeh? I found it to be distracting and don't really like it... Good subject sharpness at 1.2 though.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Is this nice bokeh? I found it to be distracting and don't really like it... Good subject sharpness at 1.2 though.


The best definition of bokeh that I have found is:

"Subjectively pleasing out-of-focus rendering"

Some swear to this kind of hard-edged pronounced bokeh, others want smoother transitions and more neutral OoF rendering.


PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
aleksanderpolo wrote:
Is this nice bokeh? I found it to be distracting and don't really like it... Good subject sharpness at 1.2 though.


The best definition of bokeh that I have found is:

"Subjectively pleasing out-of-focus rendering"

Some swear to this kind of hard-edged pronounced bokeh, others want smoother transitions and more neutral OoF rendering.


By the way, how does your 50/1.2 compare to this in terms of bokeh? I have always wanted to try a Ais 50/1.2 and a OM 50/1.2


PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
By the way, how does your 50/1.2 compare to this in terms of bokeh? I have always wanted to try a Ais 50/1.2 and a OM 50/1.2


Results depend on sensor and body used. You have more depth of field with crop sensor (1.5x or 1.6x or 2x) than with full frame, this also affects bokeh. I can give you my opinion, but that won't be useful because what one likes the other doesn't. Instead, here are some samples (all shot on full frame DSLR) from which you can form your own opinions. All photos are taken by me, some are uploaded original size (those are tagged with "uploaded original size"

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S on Nikon D3, click here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%2250mm+f%2F1.2+Ai-S%22&m=tags&w=50441299%40N00&s=int


PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sample. I like your 50/1.2's bokeh more, but it's subjective as you said.


PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but Ithink I prefer the 50mm Ais.