Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-Q.C Auto 3.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-Q.C Auto 3.5/135 Reply with quote

Hi!

I am amazed by this lens.
Here is a first picture:

Only slight sharpening after resizing. Shot at f5.6 / EOS350D

Have a look at the inserted green rectangle. Can you see what that is?

Well, have a look here:

And the focus is not exactly on the honey bee!

Carsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet ANOTHER 135 Carten? Tut Tut Laughing

Looks to be a great purchase though - hope you have fun with it.

Interesting to see your almond blossom is still out. Ours here has finished already.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in the club to buy a Nikkor lens always a good deal, old lenses like this incredible cheap. I bought old Nikkors much as I can, I recommend to buy Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure you were going to love the lens, Carsten!

Peter, this in Carsten's photo is Prunus cerasifera var. Pissardii, otherwise also known as Prunus cerasifera var. Purpurea or Prunus cerasifera var. Atropurpurea. it is a variety of the Cherry Plum, also known as Myrobalan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I was sure you were going to love the lens, Carsten!

Peter, this in Carsten's photo is Prunus cerasifera var. Pissardii, otherwise also known as Prunus cerasifera var. Purpurea or Prunus cerasifera var. Atropurpurea. it is a variety of the Cherry Plum, also known as Myrobalan.

I typed Cherry to begin with and then deleted it! We have a flowering Prunus, not sure of the variety but it has green leaves which are just emerging. The blossoms will be another week or two yet and will be much bigger than Carsten's, that's why I changed my mind.

We also have a xxx Purpurea which I call an Almond, but maybe I'm wrong. The blossoms are just like Carsten's but they disappeared 2 weeks ago. I will post a picture of each one tomorrow for the expert to identify. It will be interesting to compare. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I typed Cherry to begin with and then deleted it!

It's really a Plum tree. I don't know why in English it is called "Cherry Plum".
The fruits are smaller than then more commonly found commercial plums, and they are usually of yellowish red color.

peterqd wrote:

We also have a xxx Purpurea which I call an Almond, but maybe I'm wrong. The blossoms are just like Carsten's but they disappeared 2 weeks ago.

It' s most likely a Prunus cerasifera in one of its variety. The true Almond (Prunus dulcis) has white flowers and it blooms in February, although perhaps in Northern climates it may be later. It is very sensitive to early frost and cold temperatures. For this reason here in Italy it is usually found in the South or Central Italy, because in the North the winter frost can be deadly to the species.
The Almond is the first of the Prunus species to bloom, and it's blooming is usually over when the other Pruni start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yet ANOTHER 135 Carten? Tut Tut Laughing

Yeah, Peter. I sometimes can't believe what I am doing. Wink

Anyway, I didn't have a Nikkor so far and it was a good offer for a lens in almost mint condition.
The reason why I got this lens rather cheap is that the previous owner has written an inventory number on the outside of the silver barrel with a permanent marker. Thus the lens loses value for collectors. That was good for me, since I'm looking for lenses in good condition with fine performance and do not bother if there is a number on a barrel which has no influence on the lens performance whatsoever.

This QC 135 has been professionally adjusted to the AI-System and - as you can see - works well.

See also: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=437

Carsten

P.S.: It is quite interesting. I show you a picture to depict the lens performance and what follows is a discussion about the tree (which indeed is a plum tree). Nice to see that we do not only know and care about gear but also about other topics. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it was becoming darker so I had little time to take these.

The first picture is of the large ornamental tree in my garden. It has green leaves and very large pink blossoms, which as you see are still tight buds. It does not bear any fruit. I do not know the species name. We call it a Flowering Cherry, or Ornamental Cherry.

The other tree, which I planted only 2 years ago, still has a label attached telling me it is a Prunus Pissardi Nigra. The first picture is of the very last blossom left. This is what I thought was an Ornamental Almond. It bears no fruit either.

Now you have to try to guess the lens I used for these shots. I'll give you two hints - it's an old standard lens that arrived today, and it's not a Nikkor. I'll be back in about 3 hours to see if you got it right Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Now you have to try to guess the lens I used for these shots. I'll give you two hints - it's an old standard lens that arrived today, and it's not a Nikkor. I'll be back in about 3 hours to see if you got it right Smile

Well, there are hundreds of old standard lenses, it's not fair! Laughing
OK I'll take my chance: judging from the bokeh, I'd say CZJ Tessar or Helios-44x
If I have to pick only one, then I say Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Brilliant! I'm impressed by your knowledge Orio!
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:

Brilliant! I'm impressed by your knowledge Orio!
Click here to see on Ebay

Thanks, I wish it was knowledge, but I've only been lucky Smile

Anyway, lenses have a voice. With time and passion one can learn how to tell the voices apart. Of course it is never an exact science. But it's useful sometimes. When I was walking yesterday, and saw that pool, I heard the voice of the Planar 1.4/50. The image exists because I could visualize it in my mind like the Planar would have captured it, before I took the photo.

Learning the voices of the lenses helps you deciding which lens is the better lens for a shot without making tests or even looking in the viewfinder. I never make a rational choice - I let my choices be entirely guided by the instinct.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Orio, that sounds good!

It seems you have reached "Level 5" (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm)

I am jumping to and fro Level 1 and 4, depending on how much time I have. And sometime, only sometimes I can scratch at Level 5 when in the right mood. Wink

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow, Orio, that sounds good!
It seems you have reached "Level 5" (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm)
I am jumping to and fro Level 1 and 4, depending on how much time I have. And sometime, only sometimes I can scratch at Level 5 when in the right mood. Wink
Carsten

I have been born on Level 7 Wink