Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8 first look
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8 first look Reply with quote

There's what it looks like there.

Images are un-manipulated except for re-size.
F5.6 at ISO 400, D-810.
Contrast is a bit low.
I'm not sure if this is the early single coated glass causing it, or the slight fungus inside the lens.
Daylight was getting a bit thin here too, just minutes before sun-down.

Moving indoors at closer distances reveals a capable lens.
f5.6 at ISO 1600.

Wide open at f2.8 and ISO 400 here.

Successive crops show reasonable sharpness here.
I like the rendering and color handling a lot.

I have it's little brother f3.5 version here, and should run a comparative side by side test...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor Q 2.8/135mm is large and heavy (nearly as heavy as my Canon nFD 2/135mm!), but it is as sharp as later 2.8/135mm Nikkors. Given its age it is certainly one of the better 2.8/135mm lenses out there.

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve. The hot ticket, though, is the 135 QC -- the "C" stands for multicoating. Otherwise, it's identical to the "Q".

Doc mentioned the 135/3.5. I dunno if the optical formulae are the same, but I owned an AI 135/3.5 back in the 90s and that thing was tack sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I agree with Steve. The hot ticket, though, is the 135 QC -- the "C" stands for multicoating. Otherwise, it's identical to the "Q".

Doc mentioned the 135/3.5. I dunno if the optical formulae are the same, but I owned an AI 135/3.5 back in the 90s and that thing was tack sharp.

The Q 135 3.5 and the A/I 135 3.5 are different computations with the Q being 4/3 and the A/I being 4/4.

The C series lenses were very nice indeed.
I had a QC 200 (?) that I sold off simply because the A/I 200 was a lot easier for me to focus with.
Personally, I think the older lenses were built better than the A/I series, but that's just me.
I find the focus and aperture rings much smoother in actual picture taking use.

At 610 gr., the 135 2.8 Q is no fly weight.
I'm still getting used to using it, and will likely have a bit more on it later on.
The locking no rattle built in hood on it finds high favor with me.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

It's a different formula. I also liked the AI 135/3.5, tack sharp. Similar to the Carl Zeiss Jenna MC Sonnar 135/3.5, which is excellent.

My Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 was also sharp but it had noticeably less contrast. And this one is a sonnar formula unlike the AI.