Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-P Auto Nippon Kojaku.105mm F/2.8.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Nikkor-P Auto Nippon Kojaku.105mm F/2.8. Reply with quote

Recently i bought a Nikon 105mm 2.5 non ai lens from ebay. When i got it yesterday i found that the Writing on the lens Saying Nikon "Kojaku" instead of "Kogaku". I inspected it very well to find any possible paint/enamel loss on the spellings, but it was intact. Just want to know, whether its same Nikkor or some other brand. Please find the attached photo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost certainly an engraving mistake. Easy to make g into j by forgetting to engrave the o part of the g! You will notice that the j is not dotted despite being lower case.

Looking around online it seems this is not the only lens with this mistake. I can understand QC missing this during engraving, but you'd think when they filled the letters somebody would've noticed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese worker's mistake in the sixties . What would do a german Zeiss worker if he had to print japanese ideograms ? Shocked
By the way you have a rarity .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand how they can engrave letter "J" instead of "g". By common sense, it shouldn't be like that. I am sure that there is no paint loss. I google it to find some details and got only this https://plus.google.com/communities/114813369694457611347

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sajualex1 wrote:
I dont understand how they can engrave letter "J" instead of "g".

It's very simple. o+j=g. If they just engraved the tail - the "j" without the "o" then you just get j. The engraving was done from a pattern using a pantograph so if somebody was in a hurry or not paying attention it would be very easy to only partly engrave the letter. If it were actually a lower case j, there would be a dot on top, but it's an incomplete g.

If you set the lens next to one which has been properly engraved it will become completely obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that make very much sense, i think you are correct.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typing/engraving mistakes are obviously easy to make; just look at the topic title which says 2.8 instead of 2.5 Laughing
Kidding aside, this lens is probably worth some extra to a serious collector of Nikkor lenses.