Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKKOR-H Auto 50mm f/2 Nippon Kogaku
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: NIKKOR-H Auto 50mm f/2 Nippon Kogaku Reply with quote

Here's two quickies with this old little lens (my copy should be from the early 60s):

direct:
http://www.imageshock.eu/img/mel1.jpg

direct:
http://www.imageshock.eu/img/mel2.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. superb sharp... first is my fav..
The lens is really something... Cant believe.. how Nikon dropped the quality with Series E 50/1.8..
I am really confused, how come with Auto Focus, the quality started dropping.. ro these manufacturer intentionally did this to cater 2 market.. high price and low end...
(otherwise, those guys could have easily put this design to any latter lens.. all money was en cashed...)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 1.8 autofocus is a very good lens I have to admit Wink
Zero distortion, perfect for reproduction of paintings, etc.

However, I will sell it soon, because it has a good used value (around 100 Eur)

The real dog in the Nikkor production of 50mm is the autofocus version of the 1.4. I don't know why it is bad. But for sure I remember that when I bought my 50mm 1.4 manual (about 10 years ago, maybe more) the shop seller dissuaded me from buying the autofocus version, and said to me "either you stay with your AF 1.8, whcih is a good lens, or if you want the 1.4 aperture, buy the manual lens.
And so I did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The 50 1.8 autofocus is a very good lens I have to admit Wink
Zero distortion, perfect for reproduction of paintings, etc.

Correcting my self... I have Manual Focus Series E 50mm f1,8 lens. I took one shot (few pics of one particular subject) with this Nikon lens and Pentacon Multi coating 50mm f1.8 (I dont know whether that is Russian/German or Japanese model) M42 lens (wide open). Pentacon blew that lens.. May be it was wrong at some point. One handling should not make any view.. I will go out with both (haven't used Pentacon yet much.. will pot the result of that too).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shoots! As you know I like this kind of shoots much more than any others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the bokeh in this lens. The plastic green net behind the cat can become quite nasty, here it's softened out.

And yes it's sharp lens, because what you see here is wide open.
But as I said, all 50mm Nikkors are great lenses, except for the 1.4 AF
I had them all, either now or in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liike to dig old post Rolling Eyes

I tested it yesterday, it is a very good lens.

@f2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Your shots certainly exhibit fantastic color, contrast, and sharpness. The old 50/2 Nikkor has been regarded by old Nikon hands as the best 50mm Nikkor ever. Your shots certainly give credence to that claim.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yep. Your shots certainly exhibit fantastic color, contrast, and sharpness. The old 50/2 Nikkor has been regarded by old Nikon hands as the best 50mm Nikkor ever. Your shots certainly give credence to that claim.

Optically it’s actually the same as the AI version (only multicoating was added).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50mm nikkor-h is still my favorite lens today, it has a certain depth rendering none of my other lenses have. Shot this a year ago combined with a kowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BljkQJrl5wo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about anamorphic technique, the result of your video is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy35 wrote:
I know nothing about anamorphic technique, the result of your video is incredible.

Thank you Smile. Credit to both the amazing nikkor and kowa.
I'm actually looking for 2 spare 50mm f2 Nikkors, does anyone know if there's a fundamental render difference between the later 'Nikkor' version and the Nippon Kogaku version, optical formula should be the same only the coating is different.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichidomo wrote:
willy35 wrote:

Thank you Smile. Credit to both the amazing nikkor and kowa.
I'm actually looking for 2 spare 50mm f2 Nikkors, does anyone know if there's a fundamental render difference between the later 'Nikkor' version and the Nippon Kogaku version, optical formula should be the same only the coating is different.

No fundamental difference. I believe the later lenses focus a bit closer because of a different helicoid.