Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-h Auto 50mm f/2: any detailed information on this on?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmhh ok for some reason I thought the IMG tag would automatically resize the photo... I will post accordingly in the future

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
I disagree with aidaho. I personally don't like having to maneuver around a 5600 pixel image, such as the one that was uploaded here, just to see it. It's a great image, showing the sharpness of the lens. But it's WAY too much. Impossible to view the entire image.

I never explicitly said "put a full size into post img tag". Link is perfectly fine by me. I do so myself.

Actually, what you wrote was:
"No, do whatever you want short of local painting with image editor and share full size with us to pixel-peep."

share full size with us to pixel-peep. Pretty clear to me.

Quote:
However, the scrolling problem is to be blamed on your browser, not the posted image.
It scales down just fine in Firefox.

Wrong, unless you know some sort of voodoo to do with Firefox that I don't. I just loaded this thread in Firefox and I'm having the same problem. I even went into the settings function and another one supposedly having to do with images and tried a couple of things. Didn't make any difference. Firefox is displaying the images the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidrf wrote:
Mmhh ok for some reason I thought the IMG tag would automatically resize the photo... I will post accordingly in the future

With my browser, and with others, I suspect, when you click on the image, it's opened in another tab at full resolution, but then I can click on it, and it gets reduced to a size that I can see without having to scroll. But this is for the image only. Unfortunately, any text, whether associated with the image, or separate posts, keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to the end of the full-size image. It makes for a rather tedious experience, trying to read any comments on the page, no matter who posted it, because of any large image that is posted.

If I'm the only one experiencing this, then I'm genuinely mystified. I have the same problem with two different computers, using different browsers.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 50mm too many versions!! not enough info.
Can anyone help with info on these two lenses i have seen ranges from $50 - 0ver 500 what gives?? i am what you call a newbie!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfatovic wrote:
Can anyone help with info on these two lenses i have seen ranges from $50 - 0ver 500 what gives?? i am what you call a newbie!!!

Welcome, mfatovic! I've quoted your post so the images will appear. As an anti spam precaution, photos aren't allowed in a member's first post.

I don't know much about Nikkors, but I do occasionally refer to this Nikon database:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mfatovic

Nikon Lens Reference http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50.00 is a good price for the "H" 50mm f2.
It's a fast focusing lens with good contrast- especially for shooting monochrome.
It also has a bit of old school "character" rendering not seen in more modern glass.
I have the "H", and it's a personal favorite.

$500.00 is getting on the steep side for a 50mm 1.4. I'd pass on the "S", and look for an "S.C." 50mm 1.4 with it's better coatings.
I would not pay anywhere near that pricing.
The A/I-S 50mm 1.4 can be had from about $150.00 to $200.00, which is a real bargain.
It's image quality is equal to, or better than any modern offering available.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken with the Nikkor-H 50mm f2
Tom

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfatovic wrote:
Can anyone help with info on these two lenses i have seen ranges from $50 - 0ver 500 what gives??

There's a version of the Nikkor-S 50 1.4 that is extremely rare and collectible for some reason (I can't remember why exactly). That's why you'll see some of them in the $500 range.

I have a Nikkor-H.C. 50 f/2 and it's excellent. I also have it's slightly newer version, the Ai Nikkor 50 f/2, and it's even a little better I'd say. They redesigned the body so it has a closer minimum focus distance, which is nice.

I don't own any of the Nikkor 50 1.4s, but those are supposed to be very, very good too.

Price is not an indication of quality with these.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "k" based 50mm f2 a/ I is a fine lens on it's own.
Use and rendering are actually a bit different than the " H". Focus throw gets to be on the long and slow side. I think that's the reason the "H" stayed in working journalists hands as long as it did. Of course the newer a/ I has technically better glass and coatings.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good contrast under heavily diffuse daylight.
At f5.6.

Mid-tones and reds are nicely handled here.
At f5.6 again.

I quite like the way it handles these things.
The newer 50 nikkors have a bit of a sharpness edge, but it isn't by a very great deal.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It behaves better than expected on extension tubes.

50mm f2 Nikkor "H" on Aputure 36mm extension tube.
At f8 with the camera's pop-up flash firing at ISO 400 and 1/250 sec. hand-held.
Other than some edge fall-off, and some slight purple fringing, it performs fairly well.
+5% contrast and 3% sharpening in post with my built-in lap top editor.
Re-sized of course.

Detail crop of image above.
Male mosquito drying off it's wings in the early morning sunshine.
The females are a little bit tiny for the way I was equipped.
As a do-all lens, Nikon almost nailed this...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
It behaves better than expected on extension tubes.
As a do-all lens, Nikon almost nailed this...

-D.S.

That's not really a surprise - Nikon literature from the mid-1970s clearly states that even the Nikkor-K 1.4/50mm at 1:1 has a higher resultion in the image center than the Micro Nikkor 3.5/55mm! The Micro 3.5/55mm however was optimized for a flat field ...

I wonder the combination of two 2/50mm lenses - symmetrically mounted head-on head - would perform, especially around 1:1 where it should give really good results. Anyone ever tried?

S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephan.
I have not done much with the 50mm 1.4 nikkors here.
I have the S.C. and the AI-s.

A couple of weeks ago, I attempted some repro work for another board I'm on with the AI-s variant under extremely poor lighting conditions.
Edge fall-off was extremely noticeable wide open.
Center sharpness was nothing to write home about, but previous experience says this lens settles down admirably by f4.

I really need to run the same work again with the column reversed on the big manfrotto tripod, and run a comparison with the S.C.
I have used the S.C. with the reversing ring before, and it seemed all right.
My flat-field P.C. 55mm f3.5 micro is still king when it comes to actual repro work.

I don't have the 52 to 52 male both sides ring here...

-D.S.