Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 55mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

I recently did a deal with MFL member Mo for her 55mm f1.2 Nikkor. I have a weakness for fast "moody" lenses . . . maybe I should get treatment for this ailment Very Happy It's huge and heavy but it does produce some interesting image quality - more fun than a Trioplan and a lot cheaper than a Summarex !

This was taken in the woods on a very dull day at full aperture

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal !

I like this lens very much either, even if it is quite heavy.

Some samples :
from Orio :
http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-s-auto-11-2-f55mm-relive-the-middle-ages-t42833,highlight,%2Bnikkor+%2B55mm.html
from me :
http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-55mm-f1-2-s-c-auto-some-more-t45822,highlight,%2Bnikkor+%2B55mm.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-55mm-f1-2-s-c-auto-t45644,highlight,%2Bnikkor+%2B55mm.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a comparable "weapon" like my old Rokkor 58/1.2 lens in full metal. Laughing

Interestingly those Nikkors are offered for lower prices nowadays than the Rokkors. Most probably there are more Nikkors in circulation.
I would assume that the image quality is rather comparable, although I didn't see any direct comparison so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely capture,I am glad you are enjoying the lens...I almost desire another one... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lens it is ! I keep asking myself if its virtues outweigh its drawbacks - it's heavy, the aperture ring is awkward to reach when on a camera, and it's generally a big fat thing. But it does produce really moody images wide open (unlike any other lens I have) and it's pretty dam' sharp at f5.6, so on balance I think it comes out on the right side of the virtue-table.

Go on, Mo, - get another Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f1.2 lens lust never ends.. Been looking at the 55s "bullet nose" f1.2 a while back. Has anyone compared it with the 50?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice shot, Stephen. I have a Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC, more or less Canon's equivalent to your lens. It too is big and heavy and somewhat awkward to use when mounted. Nonetheless, I like mine a lot, but wouldn't mind having the Nikkor, just so I can use it with my Nikons.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 55mm Nikkor much heavier than the 50mm f1.2 AI?
I have the latter lens, and I would say that it is a miracle of compactness for an f1.2 lens.
Canon EF 50mm f1.2 (admittedly autofocus) 72mm thread, 590g
Nikkor 50mm f1.2 52mm, 350g

I know which one I am more likely to keep in my pocket!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine weighs 418 grams on our kitchen scale. It's also pretty fat - about 75mm wide across the focusing mount, and actually heavier and broader than my old Canon FL 85/1.8. Certainly not a lens you can slip in your pocket !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put it in your stocking or sock and use it as a weapon Laughing It certainly is a lovely lens,I keep watching for another one just incase I want another one.Have you an adapter to try it on the XE-1?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo - you'd need a pretty thick sock to keep it in Very Happy Yes, I got an adapter for the XE-1, a Novoflex one off eBay for a small fraction of the new price. Although I bought it from a UK vendor and it's marked 'Made in Germany', it came with a Chinese-language packing note in the box, which I thought a little odd.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later 50mm f1.2 is a fair bit smaller and a tad lighter. Comparison shot [imghttp://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/55mm-f12/D3S_1428-compared-1200.jpg]here[/img]. Don't think there is much in it between the two from what I've read, though the ealier lens has one lens element probably giving slightly better transmittance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more samples please Smile