Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS Reply with quote

I got crazy as many others to try this fast lens so I bought one.Hopefully I able to try it at the weekend.How crazy you are about fast lenses ?Sometimes I would get a 135mm f2 Carl Zeiss lens like Orio's lens. That is truly amazing laser sharp at wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I got crazy as many others to try this fast lens so I bought one.Hopefully I able to try it at the weekend.How crazy you are about fast lenses ?Sometimes I would get a 135mm f2 Carl Zeiss lens like Orio's lens. That is truly amazing laser sharp at wide open.

I think such lenses are really useful under certain conditions. For instance, if I had that lens in February, when I shot the Carnival series, I would have been able to shoot a lot more good photos than I could do with a 2.8 lens. That one stop difference would have meant a still image instead of a blurred one.

Of course such a difference would be less important in sunny summers like the one we had, where you can still shoot even at dusk so much is the luminosity in the sky even after sundown. But in winter, where things get dark at 4 PM, a 135/2 really becomes an indispensable lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For every stop a lens gets lower the price rises exponentially.
If you can afford it, great!
If not, a f1.4/50 would do as well, I guess.

Anyway, Atilla, congratulations to your new baby!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a 1.2 lens, but I've heard they're very difficult to focus accurately wide open at close quarters, due to the very small DOF. Is this true? I think this would put me off the extra stop on its own, not to mention the extra cost.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem with focusing with 1.4 and 1.5 lenses, hopefully the extra bright viewfinder will support to set right focusing with this lens too. In my flat if I would take picture without flash 1.4 is not enough.Let we see how 1.2 will works , thanks for 2x crop this lens will be a 100mm f1.2 on Olympus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've never used a 1.2 lens, but I've heard they're very difficult to focus accurately wide open at close quarters, due to the very small DOF. Is this true?

The narrower the DOF, the more precise the focus. That is why you always want to focus wide open.
Easiness of focusing does depend on the focusing screen. Screen that are designed for manual focusing make the task much easier.
When you miss the focus of a photograph, chances are the fault is on the imprecision of the focusing screen (if you have set the dioptric control on the viewfinder correctly).
Focusing screens made for AF lenses are not real microprisms and the have a tolerance that is far wider than the actual DOF of fast lenses. This is made on design, to make the AF engine work better with AF zoom lenses which are the most diffused lenses and are usually not fast.
Unfortunately this makes those screens highly unreliable for manual focusing: what happens is that being the tolerance wider than the DOF, you can actually misfocus and still see the image focused on your screen.
With screens designed for manual focusing this does not happen. The real microprisms will make the transition from focused to blurred more sudden and evident.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The narrower the DOF, the more precise the focus. That is why you always want to focus wide open...

Yes, but if you focus at f1.2 the slightest movement of the cam or the object will take you out of the DoF. That mostly is the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:
The narrower the DOF, the more precise the focus. That is why you always want to focus wide open...

Yes, but if you focus at f1.2 the slightest movement of the cam or the object will take you out of the DoF. That mostly is the problem.

Yes for moving objects the safest remedy is our old friend, the autofocus Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes for moving objects the safest remedy is our old friend, the autofocus Twisted Evil

This sounds a little blasphemous in a forum like this. Twisted Evil
But it simply is true. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sample pictures all shoots are wide open.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=2158
To get the right focus wasn't much harder than any other lenses like f1.8 or something.