Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 24mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 24mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Hi all.

Does the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 can be mounted on the 5D Mark II ?

It seems that the back protrudes a lot.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different versions of this lens. AI and AIS versions mount without a problem (first-hand experience). Earlier non-AI versions may have a protruding fin; I once had to deal with it on a Nikkor 50/2 (I just filed the fin slightly, as its only function is protect the aperture actuation lever).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Aoleg.

I was planning to unscrew this part of te rear mount but it seems there is a spring behind connected to the Auto aperture lever.

I don't like very much to do some "butchery" on lenses but I could file that part like you did.
My aim is to have a very good wide angle lens on my 5D MkII and keep it, so this operation would be worth while as I can see very good samples with this lens on the forum.

My lens was made between 1975 and 1977.
It's a type K.
You can see the rear part here.
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_24mm_f2.8_504041.html#thumb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically the mirror shouldn't hit that protruding part as it is located on bottom of the lens, where mirror has an higher clearance for the movement. But never tested on a 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavio, issue is that it can't be mounted at all because the protruding part hits the electronic contacts. Smile

Else, it should work on an APS-C Canon, not on full frames. The Mirror is bigger.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot that bit... Embarassed

So, you don't have another option than fill that protruding bit. Anyway, it doesn't affect the functionality of the lens even on a Nikon body. I think it is only to avoid direct contact between rear lens and where you put it when there is no rear cap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaviomaia wrote:
Completely forgot that bit... Embarassed

So, you don't have another option than fill that protruding bit. Anyway, it doesn't affect the functionality of the lens even on a Nikon body. I think it is only to avoid direct contact between rear lens and where you put it when there is no rear cap.

Ah ! Ok Flavio.
Thanks a lot. If it doesn't affect its functionality on Nikon cam, I'll fill it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Olivier,
I look forward to seeing your results using this lens on a FF camera. Will you record (take images) of what you file off, for anyone else who may want to do the same?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Moïra ! Very Happy

That's a good suggestion.
I'll do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it Moïra ! Very Happy

Here is the topic :

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1372306.html#1372306

Some samples

Closest range 30cm.

Very good.
Quite a lot of CA.
Better at F8-F11.
Very Happy

Last edited by Olivier on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and it looks to have been a worthwhile effort,the images look good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Moïra.
She deserves the effort. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Olivier. Very Happy

The bit you cut on pre-AI lenses doesn't interfere with the functionality on nikon bodies, but the AI or AIs lenses have a similar protruding part which moves a lever on some film bodies like EM, FG series and I think FA and in these cases that modification can reduce the value of the lens, I think...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Flavio.

t's a K type and I think it's a pre-Ai lens.
I didn't touch the lever which actions the automatic opening of the diaph.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After server crash, pictures reloaded.

2 more samples