Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 200mm f/2 ED-IF AiS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Nikkor 200mm f/2 ED-IF AiS Reply with quote

I know it's probably a cliché and everyone says that about their lens (same as with dogs and kids), but I honestly think I've hit the jackpot with this lens! Got it for almost half the price it sells on eBay. Can't tell the price for sure because the exchange rates in our country are going mental these days, but I'd say around $1250 / 900€.

I fell in love with it instantly. It delivers outstanding results, optical flaws are almost non-existent, the bokeh is out of this world (and I'm not exactly someone who switched from 18-55 kit lens, I've had quite a few fast primes in my hands before). Being a lens from the film era, it lacks the contrast of modern AF-S lenses, which gives me more free will in post process (sometimes I fancy a vintage look and it's way more natural this way).

What it doesn't lack is sharpness! I guess the 4 times more expensive (well, 8 times in my case Smile ) AF-S VRII version does get a little bit sharper, but I can't imagine it can get much sharper than this. I actually sold my Nikkor 135/2 AF DC, because it was ridiculously soft compared to this one.

I've sweeped the internet before buying the lens and there's so little info from actual users I really had no idea if it's worth it. The small amount of people who have tried the lens before only said it's "too heavy to be focused manually", but besides that it seemed excellent. So I thought "What the heck! I'd pulled off several weddings with manual focus only and I'm a young stud, 2.5kg lens is nothing for me" Smile

Let's get to the point! Here are some actual photos from the lens, all wide open, hand-held, taken with a Nikon D600. They're obviously edited, since I used them for my portfolio, but I have dozens of unprocessed stuff I can upload if anyone's interested:

By the way I'd like to thank Matthew Osborne from matthewosbornephotography.co.uk. He won't remember me, but about six months ago he was the one who finally influenced me to buy the lens. Thanks for taking the time to answer my message, Matt! The lens eventually moved both my life and my carreer to a better place!

Last edited by brody on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:07 pm; edited 16 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some "second-rate" photos. Bear in mind these weren't meant for my portfolio, they're mainly just testshots / walk-around shots:

Last edited by brody on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone's wondering - this is what the lens looks like in use:

It's much heavier than it looks (all metal with tons of glass). Oh and please - EXCUSE MY GRIMACING Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images! Surprised
Thanks for sharing them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added new shots to the main post Wink

Last edited by brody on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing photos!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted one of those but I love my 180mm f/2.8 ED so much I just can't see myself parting with it! Besides there is no way t will not fit into my gear bag if I have my 300mm f/2.8 ED in there as well; a lens I very rarely leave the house without!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonAIS wrote:
I have always wanted one of those but I love my 180mm f/2.8 ED so much I just can't see myself parting with it! Besides there is no way t will not fit into my gear bag if I have my 300mm f/2.8 ED in there as well; a lens I very rarely leave the house without!

Carrying both 300/2.8 and 200/2 would surely be a pain in the a--....well back, for one Smile And you'd need two CL-L1 bags, as it also fits the 200/2 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brody wrote:
NikonAIS wrote:

Carrying both 300/2.8 and 200/2 would surely be a pain in the a--....well back, for one Smile And you'd need two CL-L1 bags, as it also fits the 200/2 Smile

I have a rather large Tamrac bag and believe it or not, with the exception of the 600mm and 800mm Nikkors I own, I can put everything else in it with 2 camera bodies. All told the bag tips the scales at around 40 pounds or so if the 300 is in there along with filters and my Pentax spotmeter and Sekonic flash/ambient meter. It is hard to get the top closed though, and I have the straps adjusted out all of the way! I can also fit one Sunpak 544 if I don't secure the top flap. Now it is pushing 45!

Last edited by NikonAIS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woof woof again Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more from the last shoot Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my GOD one of the best pictures ever seen, what a bokeh what a colours, outstanding work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Shocked

Nahhh!!! i don't like the photos.... they are awf ... GREAT!!!

Concerning about the lens... is a piece of junk!!! if you want to sell by few cents / kilogram... talk to me.... i will take that monster from your hands.... Twisted Evil

Great work!!! clap, clap, clap

Signed:

I'm not a envious guy.... cof, cof, cof

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20143/big_6809_BRD_4692_1.jpg

How in the world did you find a rare red, glass eyed Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Hound in the Czech Republic?

That dog is likely the boss of that group of dogs! Spectacular athletes!

Texsport

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw a Nikon lens perform like this one., really impressive - the sensor of the D6 also helps a lot, it's an excellent camera also,

So many nice pics and it's hard to choose the best,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being active for a while. I'm currently fighting through university exams Smile

A few new bits (I'm also adding them to the main post):

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great works! but I really cannot accept the size & the weight Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
oh my GOD one of the best pictures ever seen, what a bokeh what a colours, outstanding work.

Thank you very much Smile

jnarciso wrote:

Nahhh!!! i don't like the photos.... they are awf ... GREAT!!!

Concerning about the lens... is a piece of junk!!! if you want to sell by few cents / kilogram... talk to me.... i will take that monster from your hands.... Twisted Evil

Great work!!! clap, clap, clap

Signed:

I'm not a envious guy.... cof, cof, cof

Very Happy

Haha, you almost got me mate! Thanks! Smile

texsport wrote:

How in the world did you find a rare red, glass eyed Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Hound in the Czech Republic?

That dog is likely the boss of that group of dogs! Spectacular athletes!

Texsport

Well thank you, he's actually the only one of those dogs that's mine. The rest are shot for friends or clients. I'll be even more proud of him now, knowing he's rare! Smile

monkjason wrote:
great works! but I really cannot accept the size & the weight Twisted Evil

That's what I love the most about it! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've got lots of new photos, but not as much time to process and share them with you. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Little bit of both, I guess Smile But here's one I couldn't resist ignoring anymore Smile

I hope a bit of "peekeh" doesn't offend anyone Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play along. I cannot agree more with what's already been said. This is one of my favorite lenses ever.

These are all on a Sony A7:

_DSC1409 by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

Untitled by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

Bubbles by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

And believe it or not, but it also can do non-bokeh shots, too!

Long Journey Home by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camouflage! Smile