Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkon 5.8cm 1.4 compared to the Minolta 58mm 1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Nikkon 5.8cm 1.4 compares to the Minolta 58mm 1.2? Not sure they are comparable.. but just asking for a friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split this off, does REALLY NOT BELONG where you posted...

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
How does the Nikkon 5.8cm 1.4 compares to the Minolta 58mm 1.2? Not sure they are comparable.. but just asking for a friend.

They both have oodles of character, I have the Rokkor, and I still want the Nikkor 5.8cm f1.4 and the Canon FL 58/1.2 for their character.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

They both have oodles of character, I have the Rokkor, and I still want the Nikkor 5.8cm f1.4 and the Canon FL 58/1.2 for their character.

Like 1 small

Having and testing ALL 3 lenses in the past, I though I would keep them all, but ended with minolta 1.2/58mm only!
For a fast old lens the minolta is very nice @f/1.2 and pretty amazing @f/2!
IMHO, the nikkor and canon FL - characters aside - do not follow in sharpness and not so easy to use...

I must say HOWEVER, that was not a "problem" having a bunch of FAST f1.2 in focal 58mm,
but the "problem" came LATER when having a lot of NOT SO FAST f1.8 lenses in focals 58mm, 55mm and 50mm
with loads of caracter too!!
(I am referring lenses like: Helios 2/58mm, Primoplan 1.9/58mm, Takumar 2/58mm, Pancolar 1.4/55mm, Mamiya 1.8/55mm, Zenitar 1.7/50mm, ...)

- What are your friend looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the Nikkor 5.8cm 1.4 but I never had the Minolta. My Nikkor was modified for AI and works perfectly on my Nikon DSLRs . That is important to me but if your friend is adapting to Sony or other camera, it does not matter. The 5.8cm is great at higher apertures but clearly not as sharp as my NOCT when opened up. Still the 5.8cm is good for that 'vintage' look and seems to be real nice for portraits. I am having an issue with the exposure not always metering properly. Don't know what is causing that but have read others have had similar issues with that lens. I agree, the Nikkor has plenty of character.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Like 1 small

Having and testing ALL 3 lenses in the past, I though I would keep them all, but ended with minolta 1.2/58mm only!
IMHO, the nikkor and canon FL - characters aside - do not follow in sharpness and not so easy to use...

I don't have the Nikkor 1.4/5.8cm, but i can confirm that the Minolta 1.2/58mm is in fact better than the Canon FL 1.2/58mm. Of course the Minolta is a few years "younger". The Canon is radioactive, and at least the later MC-X 1.2/58mm is not (information about the possible radioactivity of the early MC-I and MC-II 1.2/58mm is inconsistent).

Two other nice lenses with "character" and good bokeh are the Hexanon AR 1.4/57mm [6/5] and the Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm [6/5]. Both are a bargain.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

The Canon is radioactive, and at least the later MC-X 1.2/58mm is not (information about the possible radioactivity of the early MC-I and MC-II 1.2/58mm is inconsistent).

Have you seen this? https://imgur.com/8RPn7W6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, "asking for a friend" is just an expression.

Was asking for myself.

I have the Minolta 58mm f/1.2 radioactive 1st version (serial 200XXXX) according to chart by Teemo, would have to put it in direct sunlight. Haven't got the change to play with it but was curious about the other alternative (Nikkon, Canon, etc). I am looking for character most of all. Adapting on A7rii.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
vlousada wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Like 1 small

I don't have the Nikkor 1.4/5.8cm, but i can confirm that the Minolta 1.2/58mm is in fact better than the Canon FL 1.2/58mm. Of course the Minolta is a few years "younger". The Canon is radioactive, and at least the later MC-X 1.2/58mm is not (information about the possible radioactivity of the early MC-I and MC-II 1.2/58mm is inconsistent).

Two other nice lenses with "character" and good bokeh are the Hexanon AR 1.4/57mm [6/5] and the Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm [6/5]. Both are a bargain.

Stephan

The Hexanon 57/1.2 is even more so, and if you want the ultimate in character, get the Canon 50/0.95 Dream lens, I Dream about it, but it's too pricey now Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Was asking for myself.

I have the Minolta 58mm f/1.2 radioactive 1st version (serial 200XXXX) according to chart by Teemo, would have to put it in direct sunlight.

I'd be wary of doing that since the very large cemented elements can separate under heat, and sunlight apparently doesn't work to de-yellow that particular lens anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

Was asking for myself.

I have the Minolta 58mm f/1.2 radioactive 1st version (serial 200XXXX) according to chart by Teemo, would have to put it in direct sunlight.

I'd be wary of doing that since the very large cemented elements can separate under heat, and sunlight apparently doesn't work to de-yellow that particular lens anyway.

Exactly. However other samples of that lens may de-yellow. Some may only clear partly. Others not at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-yellowing
I have read about people de-yellowing with a small fluorescent lamp available at Home Depot and other stores. This should not have the bad effects as leaving it in the sun. Never did it myself but heard it from a friend...
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just search for Takumar UV treatment. It requires a hobby store UV lamp, tin foil and a few days.

Btw thanks for the lens no. analysis pic, Teemo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
stevemark wrote:

The Canon is radioactive, and at least the later MC-X 1.2/58mm is not (information about the possible radioactivity of the early MC-I and MC-II 1.2/58mm is inconsistent).

Have you seen this? https://imgur.com/8RPn7W6

No i haven't - thanks for linking it. It confirms that some are - and some aren't Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor, Nippon Kogaku 5.8cm F1.4 @ F1.4
Right from the camera (Df) with no crop or tweaking.