Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Next macro lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Next macro lens Reply with quote

Hi,
as I do a lot of macro photography I'd like to buy a new MF macro lens with the following characteristics (in order of priority):

- excellent to exceptional bokeh
- very good sharpness
- ideally 1:1, but 1:2 is ok too.
- in the short telephoto range: somewhere between 80 - 135mm
- as compact as it goes

I did some research and I think the so called Bokina, Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm, seems to be the best option here.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks for dropping your comment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bokina is an excellent choice, but don't overlook the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro. It's 1:2 but I've never found that to be a drawback with mine. Truly an incredibly sharp lens and it renders nice bokeh too.

This is actually a crop of a shot I took with my old 10.1 mp Canon XS and the Tamron macro:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would recommend the CV Apo Lanthar 2.5/125mm, as nothing beats this one IMHO,
but that comes at a price... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokina is a great lens and my go to for that FL for macro. Another great one to consider is the Kiron (aka Lester Dine, aka vivtar series 1) in 105 2.8. I have one of these in the plain vivitar labeliling (Not series 1).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC TAKUMAR 1:4/100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all good: pentax 90mm, vivitar (komine, 1:1) 90mm, vivitar (kiron = Lester Dine) 100mm/105mm; Tokina/vivitar (bokina) 90mm, tamron adaptall 90mm... looking at tests, pics online, and IME, it's more about how you use it, your lighting etc than the lens!
The tamron adaptall 52B/52BB is the most readily available and typically cheapest. One small quibble: you can get sensor reflections with this lens. In the UK it's not difficult to pick up a decent one for around fifty quid. And you get 1:1 with the dedicated extension tube, or generic extension tubes to match your mount, or the 2x 01F tc. Next cheapest/available is the komine viv or the pentaxes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my Adaptall-II Tamron 90mm #52B, with or without the 01F 2x converter, as needed, since the '80's across three ranges of cameras, thanks to the interchangeable mount, and have never really seen the need to change. It's native minimum focus is 0.39m, which it retains with the 2x fitted (obviously) and there's still the option of fitting extension tubes as well if you really need to get up close and personal Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no really bad macro lens. My dedicated macro lenses from Minolta and Pentax are really nice and sharp. However, my Tamron SP 90mm/F2.8 (Version 272E) is still my most favorite one.
It delivers 1:1 without any accessory, is stunningly sharp and contrasty already wide open, it's usable in AF mode as well, relatively small and light and offers a very smooth and soft bokeh when used as a portrait lens.
I really doubt that there is any better lens for that money (available as from EUR 200.- used).

Examples:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Minolta rokkor 100 mm f/4 does perform very well and is lightweight but slower.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised not to see any mentions of the Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focus. A hell of a lens, though not necessarily on the compact side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested several macro lenses and they are all good.

Kiron 105 has the best bokeh because of it's focal lenght. Downside is that it's heavy and difficult to use hand held on APS-C.
90mm f/2,8 1:1 (no matter the brand, they have the same optics) are good.

Tamron 90mm f/2,5 is very sharp and has pleasant bokeh. It was my first macro lens and definitely the best affordable and portable one.
I had the Bokina for a week. Excellent lens but I don't think the slightly different (and maybe smoother) bokeh is worth the price difference compared to the Tamron. Still the one to go for if you only want "the best of the best".

90mm is a great focal lenght on APS-C. Long enough to get nice bokeh and much lighter than 100/105 + lenses.

There is also a Meike 85mm f/2,8 macro with lots of aperture blades and that goes beyond 1:1 magnification. Will probably be my next purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Surprised not to see any mentions of the Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focus. A hell of a lens, though not necessarily on the compact side.

+1

Not any less compact than your typical 100mm macro, like the legendary Kiron 105 or the Canon FD 100/4.

Regarding the assertion that there are no unsharp macro lenses, well I have several. I've lost count, in fact. Hang on just a sec . . . I count 10 right now, 11 if I toss in the Tamron SP 60-300 with its 1.15:1 macro ratio.

I've conducted tests on all my macro lenses and what I found was that I just couldn't tell much of a difference at all between any of them. All of them were great performers. Wish I still had the Kilfitt 90mm I owned many moons ago.

Currently, I'm using my 55mm f/2.8 AIs Micro-Nikkor for duping slides and negatives. Up until about a year ago, which was when I got the 55/2.8, I'd been using an old pre-AI 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor for slide duping. An excellent lens, but I was surprised to find that the 55/2.8 outperformed the 55/3.5 by a noticeable margin. That was unexpected.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Next macro lens Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
as I do a lot of macro photography I'd like to buy a new MF macro lens with the following characteristics (in order of priority):

- excellent to exceptional bokeh
- very good sharpness
- ideally 1:1, but 1:2 is ok too.
- in the short telephoto range: somewhere between 80 - 135mm
- as compact as it goes

I did some research and I think the so called Bokina, Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm, seems to be the best option here.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks for dropping your comment.

Tokina/Vivitar 90/2.5 are the same lens, highly recommended.
Tamron 90/2.5 has IMO almost the same quality.

I love my Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro, it is not cheap, and is somewhat big for 1:2, I also have their 60/2.8 Macro, both are great at any focus distance.

Zeiss 100/2 Marko is almost as good, it has a bit more CA.

The Voigtlander APO 125/2.5 Macro is regarded by many to be the best.
Voigtlander now has the 65/2 APO Macro in E mount, and is about to release their 110/2.5 APO Macro for E mount.

Laowa has their 60mm 2x Macro https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-60mm-f2/

There are of course many many Macro options in the legacy market.... Good luck.