Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEXotar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: NEXotar Reply with quote

Remembering Kuuan's post about adapting a Minotar lens from a dead Minox I did the same. I bought a bunch of cameras sold for spares repair. There was a Minox GL amongst them in its little jewel box. The camera was dead, half disassembled. So a prime candidate for some adapting. I removed it much as Kuuan did in his topic (http://forum.mflenses.com/gxrotar-or-nexotar-new-life-for-a-minotar-t59038,highlight,%2Bminotar.html)

The shutter was kept open by gluing it after removing the springs. The whole lens assembly was so neat. Just a couple of 'legs' where the body fitted to the camera. I snipped them off and ended up with a neat little lens complete with working focus and aperture.

I used a reverse adaptor to attach it to the camera. First I held the lens in front of the adapter, I found infinity was just about 1mm further out than the filter thread of the ring.

I cut a disc out of a piece of thin MDF from a picture frame, just a little wider than the 49mm filter thread using a hole saw. I then cut a a smaller hole out of it using a hole saw about the diameter of the lens. Then sanded all the bits. The lens fitted into the hole with about a millimetre to spare. I used electricians tape to wind round the end 4mm of the lens barrel. About 4 times round it fitted snugly.

I fitted the lens into the ring which I'd glued onto the reversing ring and set it to infinity. I focused on a roof about 150 yards away by sliding the lens in and out. When I got good focus I lay down the adapter and used a spirit level to get it straight. I re checked the infinity then glued the lens into place from the back of the adapter.

Like Yuuan I used the little 'cone' inside the lens to tidy up the inside, tacking it in place first I used epoxy putty to fill all the gaps and make the whole thing good and solid.

A little matt black paint and the job's a good un. I cant wait to try it out.

I recycled the viewfinder too, I'm going adapt that to use that on my Contax for the Jupiter 12.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grand bit of DIY there Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I would love to see some results

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to use it at weekend!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Phil congrats!

my adaptation to M mount was a bit tricky, to keep the aperture ring working I had to recess the whole lens inside the cap used as mount.

I have seen very good photos taken with this lens, but I had been a bit disappointed with mine. Biggest reason is that coatings are not good. Only after having adapted the lens I learned that later Minotars have better coatings, mine comes from the very first line of Minox cameras and certainly has very weak coatings. I hope that your's will prove to be better!

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
very nice Phil congrats!

my adaptation to M mount was a bit tricky, to keep the aperture ring working I had to recess the whole lens inside the cap used as mount.

I have seen very good photos taken with this lens, but I had been a bit disappointed with mine. Biggest reason is that coatings are not good. Only after having adapted the lens I learned that later Minotars have better coatings, mine comes from the very first line of Minox cameras and certainly has very weak coatings. I hope that your's will prove to be better!

cheers, andreas

Thank you Andreas, your photos were great, thats why I was inspired to do this when one came my way. here are some photos taken this morning. Not too many I had about 5 lenses to test!

The lens flared like hell so there is auto contrast applied. nothing else.