Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX Wide Angle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: NEX Wide Angle Reply with quote

So I have the Sony 16/2.8 with WA converter so I think it gives me a 12mm equivalent lens. Right? I was actually looking to buy the Olympus 12mm F/2. I still want it but I am not sure about MFT to NEX conversion. Although I have the adapter which looks more like a ring to me. I don't know how will a native m43 lens act on NEX APSC sensor as m43 cameras have a smaller sensor. Any idea?

I have also eying the Zeiss touit. Anyone has experience with this lens? Or should I go for Voigtlander? I am really confused. I already got the Samyang 35mm so I am not willing to buy another Samyang.

Interestingly, I am kind of trying to buy or collect one best or most 'bang for the buck' lens from each brand name. Just one and each with different focal length. Although I have two 50mm lenses now I might get rid of the Jupiter 8 after getting adapter for my Helios 53 which should be sharper than Jupiter 8.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus m4/3 lenses are AF drive by wire and your Nex will not be able to focus them.
I have the Oly kit zoom and 2.8/17 and m4/3-Nex adapter and can try them but i guess they will vignette a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even Voigtlander 25/0,95 has vignete on NEX.
Zeiss touit ...wow...I will be glad if you buy it and share the picture here. too pricy for me Very Happy
Have you considered Speedbooster or lens turbo?
I have lens turbo, and I'm satisfied with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12mm is quite wide even for APSC. The lens that I immediately think of is the famous Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 for APS-C sensors. You can get a cheap Sony/Minolta AF to NEX mount with aperture control but you won't be able to adjust the aperture precisely, you have to guess. Another more expensive alternative is to buy a LA-EA2 adapter by Sony, then you can use it with AF and adjust aperture in camera.

If you don't really need the 12mm, I heard that the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm F2.8 is very good as well. Full frame lens with excellent IQ. I think it even has NEX mount to choose from, so adapter is not required, and price is reasonable.

There are some other choices like the Tamron 10-24 and Sigma 10-20 if you don't mind mounting a bulky AF lens in front of the tiny NEX Very Happy .

I've tried using a Nikon mount Tamron 20-40mm on my NEX before as a point and shoot and I find some people looking at me not sure what I'm trying to achieve. One of my friend asked why not just use a Nikon camera it has AF and everything compared to mounting on an NEX. I'm really not sure how to answer that lol. IMO there's nothing wrong with mounting an AF lens on NEX and use as MF some ppl just think it's a little weird thats all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
12mm is quite wide even for APSC. The lens that I immediately think of is the famous Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 for APS-C sensors. You can get a cheap Sony/Minolta AF to NEX mount with aperture control but you won't be able to adjust the aperture precisely, you have to guess. Another more expensive alternative is to buy a LA-EA2 adapter by Sony, then you can use it with AF and adjust aperture in camera.

If you don't really need the 12mm, I heard that the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm F2.8 is very good as well. Full frame lens with excellent IQ. I think it even has NEX mount to choose from, so adapter is not required, and price is reasonable.

There are some other choices like the Tamron 10-24 and Sigma 10-20 if you don't mind mounting a bulky AF lens in front of the tiny NEX Very Happy .

I've tried using a Nikon mount Tamron 20-40mm on my NEX before as a point and shoot and I find some people looking at me not sure what I'm trying to achieve. One of my friend asked why not just use a Nikon camera it has AF and everything compared to mounting on an NEX. I'm really not sure how to answer that lol. IMO there's nothing wrong with mounting an AF lens on NEX and use as MF some ppl just think it's a little weird thats all.
It is really weird LOL. That's why I am still not buying the samiyan 14mm. Also I haven't used the 34mm samyang that I bought for NIKON mount. Samyang lenses are all MF no matter what mount do you use I think. More importantly they don't have any NEX mount lens but m4/3 mount. I am kind of surprised!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzzyhmd wrote:
bruzzo wrote:

It is really weird LOL. That's why I am still not buying the samiyan 14mm. Also I haven't used the 34mm samyang that I bought for NIKON mount. Samyang lenses are all MF no matter what mount do you use I think. More importantly they don't have any NEX mount lens but m4/3 mount. I am kind of surprised!

Oh Yes you are correct they even have the Samsung NX mount but no NEX mount! I thought there are more NEX users than NX, no idea why they don't include it? Perhaps because Samyang is a Korean brand and so they would make sure to include a fellow Korean company's camera mount?

Anyhow, yes all current Samyang lenses are MF, the 14/2.8 will look huge compared to the NEX, but hey if it works for you it's all good. Yes it looks a little weird especially when using a bulky AF lens. But I have no choice.

Ppl like me who are older Nikon users with an old DSLR (I use a D200) and a bunch of old AF (not AF-S) lenses and lacks the money to get a new DSLR such as D7100/D600. We have no choice but to use the NEX for it's superior low light high ISO performance and videography compared to D200, D70,D80, etc. Those older AF lenses are useless on D3200/5200s. I can get a D7000 but feels a little unnecessary. The NEX-5N/5R spec wise is comparable to the D7000 but just doesn't have a viewfinder and a weather sealed body. So I'm stuck into using my old AF lenses on the NEX. But it's hard to explain all this to people that just walks by and think you are weird lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rellay satisfied with the Voigtlander 15/4.5 (here you can check some shot, mostly street and some landscape)
It's small, in decent light condition at f8 everything is in focus and I love it for street shot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samy 14/2.8 is a good lens,usable on the NEX5N,but a little too big and with too much distortions IMO

Sony 16/2.8 renders nice pictures either but needs to stopped down to f8

But the best of them optically (and the cheapest) is Sigma 19/2.8.It can serve as wa lens even with fussy NEX7 as it renders very good corner sharpness and no colour shifting issues.