Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nex adapters on Sony a7 III?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Nex adapters on Sony a7 III? Reply with quote

If I buy the new a7 III camera, can I then use my old nex adapters on that camera? Will it be the same flange focal distance?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nex adapters on Sony a7 III? Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
If I buy the new a7 III camera, can I then use my old nex adapters on that camera? Will it be the same flange focal distance?

It all depends on how old your NEX adapters are and how closely their manufacturers followed Sony'e E mount specs. In the beginning of the NEX E mount series (all versions released before the A7S) Sony used a two part (plastic and metal) lens mount on their cameras. The plastic component had a bit of compression in it, and some adapter manufacturers took advantage of this, making their camera mount ring just a bit smaller than spec, so that it would fit more securely on the camera. From the A7S on Sony moved to a fully metal mount ring. No more compressibility, and those adapters designed to take advantage of it would not fit the newer cameras. So, if you own any of those adapters they won't mount on the A7III.

All E mount cameras use the same flange focal distance so if your adapter will actually mount to the camera you should not have any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. All of my NEX adapters which I bought for my NEX long before the A7S was planned fit nicely on my A7R II. I'v got mainly the cheap Chinese ones. Is there any particular manufacturer known who didn't adhere to the specs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
That's interesting. All of my NEX adapters which I bought for my NEX long before the A7S was planned fit nicely on my A7R II. I'v got mainly the cheap Chinese ones. Is there any particular manufacturer known who didn't adhere to the specs?

I used to know of some back when but over time I have forgotten. You might use Google to search through old threads on the internet to find some names. As I said, it wasn't common practice. Most manufacturers used Sony''s spec. Another approach would be to look at Ebay ads. The more honest of these manufacturers started listing on their ads that their adapters wouldn't work on A7II etc.