Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX 6 - Speed Booster adapter, Need some help here! :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: NEX 6 - Speed Booster adapter, Need some help here! :) Reply with quote

Hello dear members!

Since I´ve picked up PS again, I also gotten myself into photography and I would like to get some help regarding my hours of research.

I´ve gotten myself a NEX 6 body in new condition for a great price and my plan was to grab one of those cheap speed boosters from china which would give me pretty much the same view as fullframe (from what I´ve understand atleast), and it would also give me 1 extra F stop and increase MTF.

I´m mainly hunting down those old russian M42 lenses, since they seem to be sucha joy using and I´ve always liked collecting vintage stuff with abit of history. Not to mention that they seem to bring some beautiful bokeh to the table and a lovely character overall.

With that being said, I was about to grab the M42 version, but I questioned myself if I really wanted to limit myself to the M42 mount, which seems pretty hard to use any other adapters with and the thought hit me that I could perhaps buy a version with a mount that is easily adaptable to other mounts.

I ended up finding out that the Canon EOS EF mount pretty much had all kinds adapters (including M42) available, and they all claimed infinity focus and people with DSLRs seemed happy with them.

Any reason why this wouldnt work? It would really be quite nice to buy that particular version and be able to borrow my buddies Canon lenses natively with fulllframe capability and just pop on an adapter to use my legacy lenses! Smile

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Link to the speed booster mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-EF-to-Sony-NEX-5R-F3-Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-II-Adapter-Lens-Turbo-/171308954213?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27e2cf3265

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: NEX 6 - Speed Booster adapter, Need some help here! :) Reply with quote

I bought this very adapter (it is a Lens Turbo II) about the time you posted this. I bought it to use with EOS, Nikon and M42 lenses, of which I've bought about 30 adapters, all from Big Is. I also have bought a Canon FD Lens Turbo II which is on its way in the mail.

I briefly tested it with a few lenses and everything seemed fine and I liked the results of the photos on the quick tests I did, which is why I went ahead and ordered the FD version (and, I was planning on ordering a Minolta version next month). This weekend, I took the EOS version out to shoot at an outdoor festival. I noticed that some lenses seemed a bit wobbly. I stuck on a fairly expensive lens that I just bought in January and after several shots, the lens simply fell off the LT II and broke on the ground. First time I ever lost a lens, and I've been shooting for more decades than I care to admit. I thought I was the blame, that maybe I didn't secure the locking mechanism well enough. I had to keep shooting, so I composed myself, grabbed another lens (also expensive) and this time I made sure the lock clicked. After a few shots, I felt THIS lens come loose from the LT in my hand. I was on my guard and didn't drop this lens. The lens continued to unlock from the adapter after every 3 or 4 shots.

I sent a message through eBay to Big Is 3 days ago, and so far there has been no reply. So, if you haven't bought this Lens Turbo, be aware...

Grand G wrote:
Hello dear members!

Since I´ve picked up PS again, I also gotten myself into photography and I would like to get some help regarding my hours of research.

I´ve gotten myself a NEX 6 body in new condition for a great price and my plan was to grab one of those cheap speed boosters from china which would give me pretty much the same view as fullframe (from what I´ve understand atleast), and it would also give me 1 extra F stop and increase MTF.

I´m mainly hunting down those old russian M42 lenses, since they seem to be sucha joy using and I´ve always liked collecting vintage stuff with abit of history. Not to mention that they seem to bring some beautiful bokeh to the table and a lovely character overall.

With that being said, I was about to grab the M42 version, but I questioned myself if I really wanted to limit myself to the M42 mount, which seems pretty hard to use any other adapters with and the thought hit me that I could perhaps buy a version with a mount that is easily adaptable to other mounts.

I ended up finding out that the Canon EOS EF mount pretty much had all kinds adapters (including M42) available, and they all claimed infinity focus and people with DSLRs seemed happy with them.

Any reason why this wouldnt work? It would really be quite nice to buy that particular version and be able to borrow my buddies Canon lenses natively with fulllframe capability and just pop on an adapter to use my legacy lenses! Smile

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Link to the speed booster mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-EF-to-Sony-NEX-5R-F3-Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-II-Adapter-Lens-Turbo-/171308954213?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27e2cf3265

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Minolta MD lens turbo from roxsen on the way and will do a review once I get it from what I have seen they are made by RJ in Germany personally yes go for something that m42 can be added with an adaptor and you get more choice my favourite lenses are MD or m42