Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX 6 MF Lense & Adapter Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: NEX 6 MF Lense & Adapter Suggestions Reply with quote

I am relatively NEW to this MF thing. I am just trying the Minolta Rokkor PF MC Lens after reading numerous good reviews about it.

Now I am pleased with the result and want to go step ahead.

I want one 24/28, one 85MM, one 135MM lens.

I am particularly looking for German/Russian glasses. And I am not willing to spend more than 1K for all three.

Please give me your suggestions. I am concerned about the lens adapter as well. Which adapter should I buy? I don't want to buy a lot of different adapters. I want to get one Sony A-E mount and one M42 > E-mount. What you say?

Look forward to your responses. I will follow your lead.

On another note, I don't care about sharpness. I need awesome color and BOKEH effect Smile

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85mm: helios 40, Jupiter 9 or (personal suggestion) Leica R Elmarit 90mm
28: Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 or CZJ 28mm
135: I'd say CZJ sonnar 135/3.5 or TAIR 11A or Jupiter 11

Playing with different models you should stay in your budget

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: NEX 6 MF Lense & Adapter Suggestions Reply with quote

mzzyhmd wrote:
I am relatively NEW to this MF thing. I am just trying the Minolta Rokkor PF MC Lens after reading numerous good reviews about it.

Now I am pleased with the result and want to go step ahead.

I want one 24/28, one 85MM, one 135MM lens.

I am particularly looking for German/Russian glasses. And I am not willing to spend more than 1K for all three.

Please give me your suggestions. I am concerned about the lens adapter as well. Which adapter should I buy? I don't want to buy a lot of different adapters. I want to get one Sony A-E mount and one M42 > E-mount. What you say?

Look forward to your responses. I will follow your lead.

On another note, I don't care about sharpness. I need awesome color and BOKEH effect Smile

Thanks!

for awesome color and BOKEH effect and 85mm Super Takumar f1.9/85 jumps to my mind! This is a M42 lens, you seem to already have the Minolta adapter, Minolta MD f1.7/85 ( or f2/85 ) should be good to.

for 24mm Minolta MD 2.8/24, possibly a bit better and obviously a bit faster than S-M-C Takumar 3.5/24 which is good too

there are so many good 135mm, if staying either Minolta or M42 adapter MC/MC Rokkor f2.8/135 or Takumar f3.5/135, there are many versions, the earliest preset is the smallest and lightest, nice for a NEX, the 2.5/135 is great but of course bigger and heavier, or CZJ sonnar 135/3.5 or TAIR 11A or Jupiter 11 as suggested by Rick.

total cost estimated at abt. 600 usd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your budget, having to put bokeh on top of priorities, I'd chose:

Canon FD 24/2 (around €250)
Helios 40 85/1.5(around €350)
tair 11 (around €80)

Prices are indicative and a bit on the high side, you can find them for less with some luck and patience, and vary upon condition.

This will require an fd adapter, but the lens is really excellent, and I think it's worth it.
I usually buy cheap china made ones, no problems so far, but I'm not too picky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 135mm range consider the Jupiter 37A 3.5

slower than some 2.8 lenses but is REALLY nice and cheap (I got a perfect olympic limited one for less than 60€, but can be obtained for even less)

or the Zeiss Sonnar 135 (never tried one as I were limited to nikon mount, now I have a nex and i'll try one 4 sure....)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about vivitar-komine 24/2?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzzyhmd wrote:
what about vivitar-komine 24/2?

Since you don't care about sharpness I'd say it's ok Wink

Mine is the Kiron version. Wide open it shows 'some' sharpness in a rather small center area only and degradation from there onwards is substantial. F2 still can be fun though, @f5.6 sharpness is ok and oof rendering I find good. It must be the cheapest f2 24mm lens out there and that obviously is it's biggest virtue.
the set of photos taken with my Vivitar 2/24: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157612125157920/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure you get decent adapters.
It's annoying when you use a great lens on a wobbly adapter. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I got the Rainbowimaging one off Amazon. Is it mediocre? :/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically all lenses are good in this focal lengths.

My recommendation is next:

Konica 24mm or 28mm , 85mm and 135mm

One of the lowest cost option , but 85mm is rare and 24mm not common either.

All three max 500 USD budget, with luck even less 300 USD.

Probably all simple cheap adapter is fine, like fotga etc

Nikon 24 or 28mm , 85mm , 135mm not too bad either also pretty low cost option.

Olympus OM 24 or 28mm , 85mm , 135mm price depend how fast lens you wish from wides and 135mm

Carl Zeiss 25mm Distagon, Sonnar 85mm f2.8, 135mm f2.8 Sonnar fit into 1K

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 80mm f1.8 Praktica PB or M42 , 28mm , 135mm PB also fit into 1K

Takumar 28mm, 85mm, 135mm fit into 600-700 USD as well

Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 , Orion-15mm 28mm f5.6 , Jupiter-11 135mm f4 Leica screw 400 USD

... etc etc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea about Rokinon 85/1.4 this one is surprisingly cheap?!??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent lens made by Samyang and marketed on many different names.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzzyhmd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I got the Rainbowimaging one off Amazon. Is it mediocre? :/

Only you can tell. With the rather cheapish ones (I also have many of those) it's a hit and miss.
Some of them are really good, others are not - even from the same brand, the same model.

It's easy to judge on them, though:

1. Does the mount ssmoothly click in? On both sides, to the lens AND to the camera?
2. If mounted, does it feel wobbly in any kind?
3. Do you get infinity when you should?
4. Is it easy to de-mount again?
5. Is it blackened properly inside? Shiny parts may cause reflections.

I own several types. The best one I have is without doubt the Novoflex M-NEX-adapter but that's a very expensive one.

From the cheap ones I bought, I don't really use some, because they don't seem to work properly.

But even if you buy 6 cheaper ones and get 3 good ones and 1 very good one out of it (accepting that the other 2 are lemons), it's still cheaper than buying one Novoflex. Wink