Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

newbie question about Takumars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: newbie question about Takumars Reply with quote

As a beginning Takumar lover I believed that all Takumars had the M42 mount. Today I read about a takumar-A 2x tele-converter that has a K-mount. I am trying to buy some takumars on ebay but now I am afraid I will be bidding on lenses with the wrong mount. Can somebody pls enlighten me or point me to a website with the info I need?
Thanks in advance.
Steffie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax used the Takumar designation on cheaper K-mount lenses and converters. These did not have the famous SMC coating, so are a bit more prone to flare. I'd try to avoid them unless very cheap. M42 stuff with "Takumar" on it is what you want. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for "Super" "Super Multi Coated" "SMC" "Auto" "Tele" "Macro" in front of "Takumar" and it's likely to be a M42.

The K mount Takumar ads usually mention "K mount" or "bayonet" or some such.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the "Takumar Bayonet" title which the PK cheap Takumars have, the M42 and PK mount are maybe the easiest to recognize as different, the first one is a screw mount and the other one is a bayonet one. Of course PK Takumars also have a different look, but on the practical side you can already guess by the mount and/or name on the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is a great help. Meanwhile I found this very interesting site with a database of M42 lenses:
http://m42.artlimited.net/site_lenses.php

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steffie,
if you haven't already I suggest that you also check out the Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses, the Olympus OM (Zuiko) lenses and the Leica lenses.
I shoot mostly with old glass, but I find that most of the lenses that I actually use are not M42. Then again, I might have bought the wrong M42 glass.

/Erik

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie question about Takumars Reply with quote

Steffie wrote:
As a beginning Takumar lover I believed that all Takumars had the M42 mount. Today I read about a takumar-A 2x tele-converter that has a K-mount. I am trying to buy some takumars on ebay but now I am afraid I will be bidding on lenses with the wrong mount. Can somebody pls enlighten me or point me to a website with the info I need?
Thanks in advance.
Steffie

hi Steffie, these are websites with Takumar infos:

M42 http://www.aohc.it/lense.htm

K-mount http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

spotmatic wrote:
Pentax used the Takumar designation on cheaper K-mount lenses and converters. These did not have the famous SMC coating, so are a bit more prone to flare. I'd try to avoid them unless very cheap. M42 stuff with "Takumar" on it is what you want.

as I understand there are two groups of Takumars. The first group includes all the M42 Takumar versions and the SMC Takumars (designated "SMC" not "Super-Muti-Coated"). The M42 and K-mount SMC Takumars are all multi-coated and the same as previous S-M-C versions, some have new K-mount. The second group is the more cheaply manufactured K-mount "Pentax" Takumars, still with muti-coatings. The second group is considered inferior.

My collecting focuses on the M42 "Super-" and "Super-Multi-Coated Takumars".

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Erik - Thank you Erik, I will. But since I am reading this forum I have discovered so many must-have lenses that I don't know were to start. It is all so tempting and I really don't have the means to start an extensive collection.

@Siriusdogstar - Thanks for the links. I bookmarked them. Very usefull information. There is much more to learn about all those old glass than I initially anticipated.

Another question: Are there any Takumar M42 teleconverters. I have not spotted any sofar. And do I have to use Takumar tc's with a Takumar lens. Or could I on say a Canon body use a Canon tc with a Takumar lens, in which case the adapter will of course be inbetween the tc and the lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax never made any M42 teleconverters. They only did that in their K-mount period.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Vivitar made one in the M42 mount.

patrickh

Steffie
Check out the galleries and find the "character" that you like - including which focal length. That will narrow the field. The members here can certainly help you find good value from that point on

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie wrote:
Another question: Are there any Takumar M42 teleconverters. I have not spotted any sofar. And do I have to use Takumar tc's with a Takumar lens. Or could I on say a Canon body use a Canon tc with a Takumar lens, in which case the adapter will of course be inbetween the tc and the lens.

TC noticably degrade lens performance. Camera sensor crop factor multiplies focal length makes TC less necessary.

Asahi didn't make any Takumar TC, but I believe the AP in APS is Asahi Pentax. I've seen 2x and 3x APS TC among a few M42 Takumar lens sets; the APS TC seems better than average, but I haven't used them much.

I'd stay away from Vivitar TC only because of so many models made for specific lens/focal length -- i don't know where to find a list what model was made for what focal length lens.

Many manufactured M42 TC! The 7-element TC such as Komura are supposed to be better than 4-5 element "average" TC.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will look out for those. I won't be needing a tc for a long time yet,I guess, just starting to build my mf lenses collection. But they don't seem to be on offer very often, so when I see a suitable one I would like te be able to strike out.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need focal length get a longer focal length lens. Stay away from the TC's and the image quality will be better in most cases. I'm presently trying to collect the Tele-Takumar preset lenses and having a hard time at it. Two longer focal length lenses to look for are the 200mm f/4 Super Takumar and the 300mm f/4 Super Takumar. Very good image quality there.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, there are other options besides Taks as well, with M42 mounts. The Jupiter 200/4 is a very fine lens for example

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Of course, there are other options besides Taks as well, with M42 mounts. The Jupiter 200/4 is a very fine lens for example

patrickh

Yep! Unfortunatly the build quality of russian lenses is so-so, my Juppie 200 got blades stuck a few months ago Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad it was so nice