Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie on film. Any recommendation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Newbie on film. Any recommendation? Reply with quote

After some years of digital only shooting, I am starting to shoot again with film, and first time seriously.

I would like to shoot in B&W without flash, but I have zero experience. I was thinking of ASA 400 film. Could you recommend me some films to try? I know that each day that passes is more difficult to find them. Hope it's not too late.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie on film. Any recommendation? Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
After some years of digital only shooting, I am starting to shoot again with film, and first time seriously.

I would like to shoot in B&W without flash, but I have zero experience. I was thinking of ASA 400 film. Could you recommend me some films to try? I know that each day that passes is more difficult to find them. Hope it's not too late.

Hi Juanma

For 400ASA film I'd recommend you try Ilford Delta 400 to start with. Ilford HP5+ is another option but it might be a little more grainy - I'm just about to try my first roll of this. This pic is Delta 400 with Mir-1V on a Spotmatic SP (ignore the vignetting due to wrong lens hood Embarassed )

Slower film is less grainy and more contrast. I'd recommend Ilford FP4+ (125ASA) or for maximum contrast and detail I even prefer PanF+ (50ASA) but this will maybe be too slow for you. This is FP4+ with Super-Tak 1.4/50 on Spotmatic SPII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie on film. Any recommendation? Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:

And in addition to what Peter said, look for example here

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/jrp_faq_what_film/faq_what_film_to_use.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma,

Bear in mind that we both live in a bright sunny country... 400ASA may be too much in many occassions. I use FUJI Superia 200 and sometimes I see the meter of my camera going wild towards 1/4000...
For inside pictures, 400 ASA is fine.
If you want to use it outside anyway, probably you will need a set of neutral filters to attenuate the light.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be your prefered film speed for cloudy and overcast skies? ASA200?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
What would be your prefered film speed for cloudy and overcast skies? ASA200?

It depends, it's not easy to generalise and it's always a compromise. The basic rule is that a slow film will always give the best image quality. However, if you need to use a fast shutter speed to freeze movement or if you particularly want to use a small aperture to get a large depth of field, you'd need a faster film on a dull day. If you can use a tripod and the subject is motionless, then a slow film of 50ASA would be perfectly OK, and give much better contrast.

In the second shot above, the carousel is actually in motion and the day was fairly overcast with no distinct shadows. I'd guess the EV is about 11 or 12. I didn't record the shutter speed and aperture, but I probably used 1/125 second at f4 or 5.6 and there's no movement blur and the depth of field is reasonably good. This is with 125ASA film.

So 200ASA is a pretty good compromise on a dull day I guess, and would certainly be my choice for colour neg film. I agree with Jes, I wouldn't ideally want to have 400ASA film in my camera for outdoor shots on a bright sunny day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 ASA would be also ok for me, I think, but less than that maybe not. I am not using flash at all. I prefer to miss a shot due to excess of light than due to lack of it.

In addition to what I said before, I must say that I like contrasty B&W, and that grain is not a big concern for me. I am not planning to make big enlargements. I just look for that look different to digital, if you know what I mean.

Thanks to everybody!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the results of my first roll. Finally it was an Ilford FP4.
I used a Praktica MTL5B with some lenses (Pentacon 2,8/29, CZJ Sonnar 3,5/135 and Jupiter 9 2/85)

I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the experience. The results on paper have that "different look" that I was searching for. I missed some shots due to focus error, but some others have that special look of old B/W photography that I love, and that I am unable to reproduce with the digital reflex. I know that probably all of you know already this, but for me it's all new and exciting.

I have a Zorki loaded with an Ilford HP5+ roll and I think that I will load the Praktica again with more B/W roll. My local shop has Ilford and Kodak. I think I will try with the new T-MAX 100, just to see the differences between it and the Ilford FP4.

I had also the scans of the pictures. Nothing special, aprox. 2Mpix scans. I put here some of then just for you to see, but they don't look as good as the photos on paper.

Again, thank you all for your help with this issue. You are great! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is a GREAT capture, I felt as if I was there......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Juanma! Really well done - another film fan is born Very Happy

One or two of the shots look possibly a little overblown, is that just the scan? If the negs are OK it doesn't matter, but if not maybe the calibration of the camera meter might need looking at.

Also, did you notice the small amount of vignetting on your wide angle shots? My first roll was exactly the same (see my pic earlier), and was due to using a normal lens hood with a 37mm lens. Did you use a hood?

Can't wait for the Zorki shots - have you bought your meter yet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the warm atmosphere of the first picture.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Juanma!
I also like the first photo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Juanma,

Bear in mind that we both live in a bright sunny country... 400ASA may be too much in many occassions. I use FUJI Sensia 200 and sometimes I see the meter of my camera going wild towards 1/4000...
For inside pictures, 400 ASA is fine.
If you want to use it outside anyway, probably you will need a set of neutral filters to attenuate the light.

Jes.

Bright sunny country! How dare you imply that Oregon USA where I now live is a wet, overcast, cloudy drizzly God forsaken dump for 9 months of the year (It is of course, I am just jealous as I'd love the chance to experience the beauty of Spain again!)

Good luck,

Doug Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Also, did you notice the small amount of vignetting on your wide angle shots? My first roll was exactly the same (see my pic earlier), and was due to using a normal lens hood with a 37mm lens. Did you use a hood?

Can't wait for the Zorki shots - have you bought your meter yet?

Hi Peter,

The vignetting is indeed caused bay a rubber lens hood on the Pentacon 2,8/29. I used it a lot on a digital crop camera without problems, but hey, this is full frame!, so it seems not be adequate for that. I didn't notice it in the viewfinder, though.

I still don't have the light meter for the Zorki, I'm watching some items in ebay. Meanwhile I think I'll start with the sunny sixteen rule.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
The vignetting is indeed caused bay a rubber lens hood on the Pentacon 2,8/29. I used it a lot on a digital crop camera without problems, but hey, this is full frame!, so it seems not be adequate for that. I didn't notice it in the viewfinder, though.

You're not alone! Exactly the same happened to me. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think I'll start with the sunny sixteen rule.

Good idea. You're in the right place for bright sunshine - here, even in our brightest sunshine, the best the meter will give is the Sunny 11 Rule. Usually, though, it's the Cloudy 5.6 Rule Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Juanma wrote:

You're not alone! Exactly the same happened to me. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think I'll start with the sunny sixteen rule.

Good idea. You're in the right place for bright sunshine - here, even in our brightest sunshine, the best the meter will give is the Sunny 11 Rule. Usually, though, it's the Cloudy 5.6 Rule Smile

Or in Portland Oregon USA between October and May? We use the 'How wide can my lens go, and does the timer do hours rules...?" Sad Sad Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
We use the 'How wide can my lens go, and does the timer do hours rules...?" Sad Sad Sad

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice work Juanma. I love #4...

Jes.