Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Zeiss Distagon 3.5/18 for Pentax K, Nikon mounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New super wide from Zeiss with F Nikon and K Pentax mount versions
http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/e0943e181906e994c125746c0053918c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I am curious about how it would compare with the classic Contax Distagon 4/18.
However I expect a price tag outside of the reasonable Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split the topics and gave them the name of the lenses. so they can be searched better later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schemes show at least two-three visible differences between this new 3.5/18 (13 elements in 11 groups) and the old 4/18 (10 elements in 9 groups)

It is clearly an evolution of the 4/18 but not at all a conservative one.

It would be very interesting to know what Marco Cavina thinks of it.

Speaking as a non-expert, the higher number of elements would make me suppose for a higher control of distortions and optimization of corner performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful lens! I just LOVE this silver ring at thr front of these lenses!
But I do not want to know the price, because this is the moment when all hope dies and a vague suspision of never-come-true turns into cruel verification. Crying or Very sad Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned the price and I wish I didn't Sad
It costs almost as much as what I had spent for my 5D Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert White in UK are advertising this lens for £745 GBP + VAT with the Nikon mount version available from late July and the Pentax one later on.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=2203&PT_ID=287&P=Zeiss-18mm-f-3.5-T*-Distagon

Wonder how this new version will compare with the original and with the 21?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Zeiss, I am sure that they bettered the Contax 4/18
The 2.8/21 is a different game, the Contax lens contained some special glass that was indispensable for the optical formula and is not allowed anymore.
Rumours (don't know how trustable) say that Zeiss tried to reproduce the scheme of the 2.8/21 with today's legal glass but was unable to match the astounding performance of the original.

I would be curious to see results from the Biogon 21mm on digital rangefinder. What I get from my Contax G copy is fantastic and I doubt that the mythical Contax 21mm can be much better than that. But of course, we are speaking of a lens that does not need an inversed tele group to work...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see a test between the C/Y Distagon 18 and the new D18 with the D21 as benchmark for overall IQ.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street price in Spain: 960€.

Jes.