Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New toy: Tamron SP 2.5/90 macro (52BB)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
..the difference is,one is 1:2 other is 1:1

adaptall-2.org says that both are 1:2 macro lenses, and both need either an extension tube or a 2x TC to get 1:1 magnification. I've never had a 52b, so I can't speak by direct experience.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right,I have both + 018f extension tube and 200f 2x.018f best with 52bb and 200f with 52b giving 180mm f2.5, much lighter than my 63B.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue spot problem - I took some pictures today that show the blue spot, and how little you have to move to avoid it. The lens definitely does not like the sun in the shot, but most lenses have some issues with that.
These two pictures - I took a series of maybe 6 or 7 pictures of the backlit leaf with the mid afternoon sun streaming through the trees behind, the bright spot at the top is the direct sun, in the second picture the sun is bottom left. All shot wide open with the correct lens hood. The good picture is the best, the other is the worst; and you can clearly see the partial blue spot. Closing the aperture makes the spot smaller but more defined.

I did a similar thing here but with the full sun, there was no leaves or branches in the way. The only picture without the spot was the one where the sun was behind the tree, but it was still very bright.

It's there......and it is something that you have to be aware of when using this lens as it isn't always clearly visible in either the viewfinder or the screen - it IS visible, but a slight blue spot will not always stand out. The Sony A6000 actually does a good job, better than I seem to remember the NEX5 doing.
It certainly doesn't put me off using this superb lens, the good backlit leaf shot is OK, there's no PP on the picture here but that would scrub up quite well. There's a lot of lenses out there that would be flaring horribly in the same situation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 3 pictures, and I could not get the blue spot to appear on these. I kept the sun on the edge of the leaf but moved the camera angle slightly, no blue spot.

It's a great lens, I shall use it more often. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New toy: Tamron SP 2.5/90 macro (52BB) Reply with quote

Great photos and great lens.

Aanything wrote:

Shall I find a problem with the lens, I'd say that you need either the TC or the matched extension tube to get to 1:1.

Of course, introducing additional glass is never desired but in this case the quality is really top notch. Getting the Tamron 01F 2x teleconverter and Tamron 18F extension tube gives you several new options for cheap. As far I understand this system (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you get:

1. bare lens = 90mm f/2.5 1:2 macro
2. lens + extension tube = 90mm f/2.5 1:1 macro
3. lens + teleconverter = 180mm f/5 1:1 macro
4. lens + teleconverter + extension tube = theoretically 180mm f/5 2:1 macro

There is some light loss involved and with the extension tube there is a very limited focus range, but it sure is a lot of fun for very little money. Tamron's 01F teleconverter is of great quality and well matched with the mentioned lens, there is very little IQ loss.

I shot these hand-held using both TC and ET + lens (I've already posted some of these photos before):

And these were done with just the TC + lens:

Some time ago I did a comparison to check the differences in quality and magnification when shooting wit different setups. You'll find it here if interested:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-90mm-and-teleconverter-and-extension-tube-comparisons-t63650.html

The only problem that I find with this lens is the amount of CA. Most of the time it can be easily corrected in PP, but sometimes it's a real challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points of focus are plenty sharp. The bird is excellent - not easy to do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:
Great photos and great lens.

Aanything wrote:

Shall I find a problem with the lens, I'd say that you need either the TC or the matched extension tube to get to 1:1.

Of course, introducing additional glass is never desired but in this case the quality is really top notch. Getting the Tamron 01F 2x teleconverter and Tamron 18F extension tube gives you several new options for cheap. As far I understand this system (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you get:

1. bare lens = 90mm f/2.5 1:2 macro
2. lens + extension tube = 90mm f/2.5 1:1 macro
3. lens + teleconverter = 180mm f/5 1:1 macro
4. lens + teleconverter + extension tube = theoretically 180mm f/5 2:1 macro

There is some light loss involved and with the extension tube there is a very limited focus range, but it sure is a lot of fun for very little money. Tamron's 01F teleconverter is of great quality and well matched with the mentioned lens, there is very little IQ loss.

I shot these hand-held using both TC and ET + lens (I've already posted some of these photos before):

The only problem that I find with this lens is the amount of CA. Most of the time it can be easily corrected in PP, but sometimes it's a real challenge.

Thanks: I remember your thread with the comparison and was really surprised by how little the TC impacted image quality.
And that's great because I'm particularly attracted by the idea of getting 1:1 magnification while maintaining the longest possible working distance: I already have an excellent 1:1 macro lens (mamiya sekor/tomioka 2.8/60 macro) but you have to get really close to the subject (and by really I mean that front lens almost has to touch it), which is not very practical, especially with living things.

Oh, and great samples, btw: the bird in flight is really stunning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Thanks: I remember your thread with the comparison and was really surprised by how little the TC impacted image quality.
And that's great because I'm particularly attracted by the idea of getting 1:1 magnification while maintaining the longest possible working distance: I already have an excellent 1:1 macro lens (mamiya sekor/tomioka 2.8/60 macro) but you have to get really close to the subject (and by really I mean that front lens almost has to touch it), which is not very practical, especially with living things.

The first two portraits I posted were of feral cats, you couldn't get anywhere near them at the time (they have been successfully domesticated since then) and I did the "nostril shot" without waking up Luke Smile So yes, I guess the longer the better and this kit performs pretty well at it. When using the teleconverter you get the 180mm lens while maintaining the close MFD. It makes for a very versatile setup, as long as you don't mind the f/5.

Truth be told, out of curiosity I went even further on my cheap-o quest. Since I received the Olympus 2X-A teleconverter bundled with some lens and happened to own the required adapters to make it work, I decided to stack two TCs and see what happens.

This particular Olympus TC seems to be quality piece of glass too, although not nearly as well matched for the Tamron's lens as the 01F is.

The setup became heavy, long, cumbersome and clunky. Difficult to use for anything other than some fun. Anyhow, I find the results quite surprising considering that at this point I was basically shooting through a novelty item. Here are a few samples (none has been cropped):

52BB + 01F + 2X-A (handheld)

52BB + 01F + 2X-A + extension tube (on tripod)

The aperture scale on yet another fabulous Tamron lens, the 105mm f/2.5

Aanything wrote:

Oh, and great samples, btw: the bird in flight is really stunning.

woodrim wrote:
The bird is excellent - not easy to do.

Thank you. The fact that he was repeatedly attacking me was of great help.

That's the southern lapwing and these chaps do have some interesting habits during their mating and nesting season, one of which is trying to beat the crap out of anyone who dares anywhere near their eggs. Since they tend to build their nests in my yard, last year I went among these creatures with the camera to practice my skills. Even shared like two shots in Woodrim's "Birds in flight" thread.