Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New toy arrived! (Tokina AT-X 2.8/24-40)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: New toy arrived! (Tokina AT-X 2.8/24-40) Reply with quote

Hi!

Yesterday, I got my newest toy: a Tokina AT-X 2.8/24-40.

I would say this lens is in "A-" condition, IOW pretty good.
The performance seems to be OK, but I have to testshoot it before I can judge it.

This is the lens compared to my Hoya HMC 3.5/25-42:

(All shots taken with the Vivitar 2.0/24 on EOS 350D, high ISO.)

The Hoya is a little bukier but also a little shorter.

I would love to do a comparison between these two lenses and two primes (24 and 35mm which is an alternative set for these zooms), but I have to work a lot ATM - and the weather is dreadful today. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some quick snaps.

The distortion of the this lens at 24mm is clearly visible

but it gets better at 40mm without disappearing completely.

Anyway this considerable distortion is not that obvious in "real" shots:

A 100% crop of this photo, frame marked by the red box:

First short verdict: It seems to be prone to flare and should perhaps be used with a hood. The resolution seems to be good but it "suffers" from distortion. So, not bad for a zoom lens with this focal range, but presumably not even close to good primes. A later comparison will provide evidence, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Carsten!
look a nice lens without CA and good resolution

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good resolution and very low CA for such a wide zoom. The distortion is quite noticeable, but it looks like simple distortion rather than the annoying 'moustache' type so should be easy to fix.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this nice lens! I look forward another samples in Gallery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrel distortion is almost unavoidable in wide zooms - as long as you don't shoot architecture it should be ok.
It can be a handy lens on APS-C cameras as it covers the range from moderate wide to short tele.
It can be nice for walkarounds where portability is more important than strict quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, this kind of distortion can be corrected quite easily - if it is disturbing in a shot.

About the useful focal length, I am not so sure.
It offer an equivalent FoV from about 38mm to 64mm.
That would be just a few steps forwards and backwards when shooting a real 35mm or 28mm prime lens.

I think that on full frame the 24 to 40 mm (from real wide angle to almost "normal") are much more useful than the effective FoV on a crop cam.

Anyway, I like this lens, the way it looks and the way you handle it.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I snared one of these today for the bargain price of around $11 USD (equivalent)!!!!!!

Little bit of light fungus on the inside of the back element, which cleaned up very nicely!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I have sold my copy quite a while ago.
But sometimes I regret that. I would love to try it on my 5D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I snared one of these today for the bargain price of around $11 USD (equivalent)!!!!!!

Little bit of light fungus on the inside of the back element, which cleaned up very nicely!!!!! Very Happy

I am not sorry to drag up an old thread. Smile
I find its better than starting a new one on the same subject most times .

Congratulations on your great bargain. I would love to see some photos of that lens .. what mount Was it?

Wish I could come across a copy of this like you have so cheep. I won an auction on the same lens this past month. Auction ended when I was at the beach for the weekend, but even tho the seller stated on the page winner will have three days to pay, the seller let the owner take back the lens from his consignment shop the next day .. His excuse was that it has been 24 hours since the auction ended and the owner wanted his money or the lens back and I had not payed or contacted him... I guess some people don't believe in a Life outside of the internet... or even in their own rules....lol.

Anyway , its been 2 years , would love to see samples from this lens of yoru , and your opinion of it..

I already have its big sister, the AT-X 60-135mm f/2.8

Last edited by RDM on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

It's long gone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

It's long gone!

Ummm, yea I did see that you mentioned the lens was long gone, That is why I said "I would love to see some photos" instead of saying Lucis can you please take some. I just wanted to see if you or any one else had photos of it; whether taken in the past or recent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an AF lens...so...wrong forum anyway? Being a newbie ah like tae be careful... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
It's an AF lens...so...wrong forum anyway? Being a newbie ah like tae be careful... Wink

Nope we were not talking about AF lenses .. at lease I was not .. Unless you meant that you first thought we were talking about an AF lens by mistake, in winch case, yea woops is right Smile its OK we all make mistakes.
Scroll up photos show the Manual focus lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these for a short while but I sold it due to the distortion being too much to live with.
I ended up replacing it with a SMC Pentax-A 24-50 which is excellent and nearly zero distortion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

RDM wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

Nope we were not talking about AF lenses .. at lease I was not .. Unless you meant that you first thought we were talking about an AF lens by mistake, in winch case, yea woops is right Smile its OK we all make mistakes.

This lens was made in both AF and MF forms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
I had one of these for a short while but I sold it due to the distortion being too much to live with.
I ended up replacing it with a SMC Pentax-A 24-50 which is excellent and nearly zero distortion.

Yea but the SMC Pentax-A 24-50mm is allot slower.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
RDM wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

And I was only talking about the MF version!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
RDM wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

Also besides the fact that every comment was talking about the MF versions of this lens as well as showing photos of the MF lens this whole forum is for Manual Focus Lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

RDM wrote:
Andrew G. wrote:
RDM wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

Also besides the fact that every comment was talking about the MF versions of this lens as well as showing photos of the MF lens this whole forum is for Manual Focus Lenses.

Of course. However, I felt it was worth mentioning that they're optically identical.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, dont worry. Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
RDM wrote:
Andrew G. wrote:
RDM wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

Of course. However, I felt it was worth mentioning that they're optically identical.

Ohh I see now.. I didn't realize that was your point.. Yea they are.
I would suspect that the newest ones are probably a little better quality optically due to purity of materials and more modern manufacturing techniques.
I often wished I could find one that has Broken AF but would still MF fine but selling for real cheep. Even tho lately I mostly use my MF lenses on my Digital camera I still try to purchase them in the mount for my Film camera so i can still shoot some film with them occasionally. Since I have old Minolta and canon gear that would mean hacking the mount of an AF lens out there if I did this Idea.