Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Star Trails Photo (C&C welcome)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: New Star Trails Photo (C&C welcome) Reply with quote

Pentax K-3, Pentax FA Limited 31mm f1.8, Lake Tahoe, Californi

This is one of the better shots from my weekend of star trails photography. I wanted to post it tonight before I leave tomorrow for a remote quest to photograph the Orionids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot David, love it! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ed. I hope that my orionid shots tonight turn out as well. I'm bringing seven cameras this time, so I hope I've stacked the deck in my favor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot.

Good luck tonight.

Looking forwards to those shots

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Very nice shot.

Good luck tonight.

X2!

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic. There is so much light pollution near me whenever I try something like this pictures the sky is just orange.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
inombrable wrote:
Very nice shot.

Good luck tonight.

X2!

Best,

Renato

X3 Smile

David, can you give us the exposure settings you used?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last night was a near-total bust. Not only was it cloudy the whole night but it rained. And heavily. Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad for the rain and also glad I put all my camera gear in the car before it opened up. Unfortunately, I think it will be seven years before there's another Orionid during a near-new moon (if I recall what I read correctly.) So I'll have to try again next year with one of the meteor showers.

Peter, that image is a composite of something like 100 separate images. They were each 30-second exposures at 400 ISO, f3.2.

Phil, the moon was waxing gibbous at the time, and behind the camera, so it was lighting the water and hills. Partly the reddish tint is from moonlight on the very-dry hillsides. The air was also fairly dusty due to the area's lack of rain for the last 15 or so months. The orange beyond the horizon is from Reno.

To help illustrate that, here's a version with all the stars removed.

But, yeah, that's how it looked. I didn't tweak any of the colors in post. I did re-balance the stars to make them more visible, but the stars' coloration is pretty close to true.