Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New SLR - tired of my Praktica BMS and Prakticar Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go down the Pentax route, forget the K1000. It is vastly over-priced due to its iconic status. If you want a basic bayonet SLR get a KM, or better a KX. Both have better specs than a K1000 and can be bought for a fraction of the price. The "K" series 135/3.5 is pretty good, the 135/2.5 really very good.

Kris.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Pentax-M 3.5/135 and liked it a lot, very good coatings and it had quite a bit of 3D 'pop', certainly a rival to the Sonnar/Prakticar 3.5/135 imho.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sonnar is Sonnar. Cannot replace that thick glass with Ernostar design. Something happens with travelling of light through it. And if you like the result then there are different Sonnars available not just Zeiss (DDR being a real bargain). I found Beroflex/Elicar silver line 3.5/135mm that is quite awesome. Russian not being that cheap any more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about recommending any lens as you risk being told it's not good because it has more CA in the extreme corners wide open than another lens.

But in the real world, yes a Sonnar is a Sonnar and in the 135mm length, they are all good if in good condition, whether Russian, German or Japanese.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
If you go down the Pentax route, forget the K1000. It is vastly over-priced due to its iconic status. If you want a basic bayonet SLR get a KM, or better a KX. Both have better specs than a K1000 and can be bought for a fraction of the price. The "K" series 135/3.5 is pretty good, the 135/2.5 really very good.

Kris.

Yes, this is good advice.
On all counts
T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one seems to have mentioned my favourite 135mm, the Tamron Adaptall-2 #03B 135mm f/2.5 … adaptable (of course) to just about anything you need, including Praktica bayonet Wink
Why struggle with anything else?
Nevertheless, I'm surprised at the reported distortion with the OP's lens, I'd suspect it's either been dropped or stripped and re-assembled incorrectly Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to do a little comparison between a few 135mm lenses, of which a few have been named in this thread:
- Topcor 135/2.8
- Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/2.5 (v2)
- Nikkor ai 135/2.8
- Mamiya SX 135/2.8
- Hexanon 135/3.2

I won't cover all the aspects of optical performance of the lenses but probably an image with subject isolation under fairly good lighting conditions, and see what lens gives the best image.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I'm planning to do a little comparison between a few 135mm lenses, of which a few have been named in this thread:
- Topcor 135/2.8
- Nikkor ai 135/2.8
- Mamiya SX 135/2.8
- Hexanon 135/3.2

I won't cover all the aspects of optical performance of the lenses but probably an image with subject isolation under fairly good lighting conditions, and see what lens gives the best image.

Sounds interesting
T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well I will continue to enjoy my Sonnars and won't bother to squint at the corners when shot wide open to see if there might be some decentering, it's all a big waste of time. If the lens shoots well then that's all you need to know.

I also love the Hexanon 3.2/135, I'd use it a lot more if it fitted on more of my cameras. It's particularly great for close work.

In my experience, the hex. 135/3,2 is very good lens, but my copies of mamiya SX and apotelezenitar 135/2,8 were sharper, specially in the medium to long focus.

But if I find the hex. 135/2,5 again, I will take it and never let it go. No more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad Konica camera's don't have a very good reputation then.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone like the Vivitar 28#### 135 f2.8......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure nice lens, a bit boring because Komine made it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with a Vivitar when there are lots of better lenses dirt cheap. I had the Komine made one, good lens but nothing special, not in the same league as the better lenses we are discussing here imho.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
- Topcor 135/2.8
- Nikkor ai 135/2.8
- Mamiya SX 135/2.8
- Hexanon 135/3.2

Sounds interesting
T

Here's the comparison:
http://forum.mflenses.com/comparison-5x-135mm-t82001.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why bother with a Vivitar when there are lots of better lenses dirt cheap. I had the Komine made one, good lens but nothing special, not in the same league as the better lenses we are discussing here imho.

Well for me can I see the difference in the lenses mentioned using a 35mm film camera. Digi cameras "tear" old lenses apart and find the smallest faults which is a bit unfair as they were made for film cameras and to get a 12"X 16" print (that might show up faults) would be pushing it for 35mm film.
Horses for courses?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komine 2.8/135 can easily match quality of above mentioned lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the Komine was better than average for a third party Japanese lens of the era. Of course, I only had one copy and it might not have been one of the better copies.