Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Portra 400 / MD 50/1.7 XE-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: New Portra 400 / MD 50/1.7 XE-5 Reply with quote

The new Portra 400 seems decent, not a high-effect color film, and a real luxury to have the speed. In other words, at least in these scans this is also a 'transparent' rather than 'concentrated' or 'saturated' type of rendition. Grain isn't the finest, but I think good for ASA 400 film... these are all CVS scans, with the XE-5 and MD 50/1.7, in auto exposure mode.

Lilly and Rena at Parsons show by Nesster, on Flickr

at the new school / parsons show by Nesster, on Flickr

the front 9 by Nesster, on Flickr

slices by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what colors and results! Shocked That 50 is doing some nice favors,
too. So, is the XE-5 the body I should go for? Still haven't bought one yet.

Adding Portra 400 to my Freestyle order...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD 50 was the best $7 lens purchase I've made.

I'm using the XE-5 more because it had been CLA'd by the previous owner, while the XE-7 I think needs some regular excercise (which it isn't getting) to limber up. These are amazingly nice cameras to use, but maybe for the first time ever I actually was tempted to take the K100D instead, as it is smaller and lighter Laughing

I bought a 5 pack of the Portra, and a couple of rolls in 160 speed 120, to try out. Kodak seems to my eyes to be getting more realistic color these days... but speed aside, I'm not certain the Portra is worth $4.50 more per roll than the ColorPlus 200 on a regular basis. I certainly prefer both over Ektra 100, a film I've tried to like but find too difficult to get a good color balance with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on Ektar in 35mm, didn't like turquoise sky. Laughing I've seen
some great results in 120, but haven't been moved to buy any.

$7 for that lens! Shocked Laughing

Really love this shot!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the results from this film and I'm not a fan of Portra. The grain looks finer than the 160asa I tried.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like that street shot a bunch; nice 3d effect on all ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the soft color look as well. i have a few rolls laying around i havent gotten to that i will soon get to! also think the subway shot is excellent, i can feel the wet floor!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is the wet floor....Portra is recommended by many photographers, but it's expensive in the UK @ £5.60 for 35mm 36exp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet floor to me also , so excellent!