Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Pictorialism [Soft Focus Alert!]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmatel 138/1.8 wide open:

Tamron 70-150/2.8 Soft Focus wide open:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine ones Sebastien!

I like that glow and the fine softness a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: soft focus lens Reply with quote

Wow, I'm liking the results of that Tamron 75-150/2.8 Soft Focus.
Must be rare?
I don't see any for sale, bummer...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: soft focus lens Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Wow, I'm liking the results of that Tamron 75-150/2.8 Soft Focus.
Must be rare?

Rare and expensive , prepare 500 USD to take one for sure.
Nice to see your pictures again Sebastian!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Fine ones Sebastien!

I like that glow and the fine softness a lot!

Thank you Klaus for the kind words.

buggz wrote:
Wow, I'm liking the results of that Tamron 70-150/2.8 Soft Focus.
Must be rare?

Thank you buggz. The Tamron must be one of the rarest among the Adaptall II series. It's also a very good lens in its own right, fully usable at F2.8. The soft focus ring comes in as a bonus!

Attila wrote:
Rare and expensive , prepare 500 USD to take one for sure.
Nice to see your pictures again Sebastian!

Thank you Attila.
The Tamron 70-150/2.8 Soft Focus is not overly expensive if you think about it. It's a fast zoom (F/2.8 ), and one of the top of the line Tamron SP Series: built quality is excellent, sharpness and contrast are top notch. It is not overly bulky or heavy for an all metal F/2.8 zoom. It has a convenient 0.98 m minimum focus distance and uses common 62 mm filters.

What else?... How about a built-in retractable lenshood, and the universal Adaptall II mount, making it easily adaptable on almost any camera! On my Pentax DSLRs, I set the aperture ring on "AE", and it becomes a lens with automatic diaphragm control, just like any modern Pentax lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely people not pay it's price if not an excellent lens. You explanation was a good idea, help to people to understand why need to pay this amount for this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Tamron.
I don't mind paying for quality, just always looking for the best deal.
My most recent expen$ive item was the Zeiss Contax/Yashica 35/1.4
I love this lens!
It stays in my "go to kit" along w/ my converted to EOS Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Distagon 28/2.0 Reply with quote

A few softies taken with my Zeiss "Hollywood" Distagon 28/2.0:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I tried the big Sigmatel 135/1.8 with the Pentax 1.7X autofocus adapter. The resulting lens is a 230/3.0 autofocus lens with surprisingly acceptable image quality wide open. the amazing fact is that this contraption manages to retain the characteristic "Sonnar" look of images delivered by the Sigmatel lens. Here are a few pictures, wide open:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots taken with my canon FD 50/1.8. The adapter I use introduces flare up until about F8 so most of my shots look like this. I guess it is OK for an effects lens. Just not what I thought it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been having a lot of fun recently with a Canon 50/0.95 RF lens mounted on the Sony A7. As this is the case with many fast lenses, the Canon 50/0.95 "Dream Lens" has a "glowy" rendering when used at max aperture. The lens is fine for shoting at mid-range, even wide open, but when shooting at close focus and wide open, the lens goes wild.

Unfortunately, this was previously impossible because this lens has a minimum focus distance of 1m (no surprise here, it's a rangefinder lens and rangefinders are not good at close focusing with fast lenses). But nowadays, thanks to the Leica M adapters with built-in helicoid, it is possible to use this lens much closer to the subject, leading to a dreamy effect due to the huge amount of spherical aberration and coma:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from the Canon Dream Lens:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about soft lens, I think triplet 150mm/2.8 could fit it here Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very beautiful,just like all prior photos shown. Makes clear why it is called 'dream lens'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Talking about soft lens, I think triplet 150mm/2.8 could fit it here Smile

Agreed.
Which triplet 2.8/150 is it?
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
These are very beautiful,just like all prior photos shown. Makes clear why it is called 'dream lens'

Thank you, kuuan. These are much appreciated words coming from you!

Here are a few more pictures taken at F/0.95 with the dream lens. First, a Vietnamese horsie:

Then, some seasonal flowers:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whooa, beautiful!
love how you compose with the cateyes

( you make me real doubt, reconsider. So far I have not even used any 1.2 lens, and only APS-C. Most likely never will afford the 0.95 but have been looking out for a Canon LTM 1.2/50 and eventually may get a FF camera, won't be the same though..)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
whooa, beautiful!
love how you compose with the cateyes

( you make me real doubt, reconsider. So far I have not even used any 1.2 lens, and only APS-C. Most likely never will afford the 0.95 but have been looking out for a Canon LTM 1.2/50 and eventually may get a FF camera, won't be the same though..)

Thank you for the kind words!

APS is good, full frame is better, medium format is best, large format is top. It's all about cost (and bulk) vs. quality (and usability), no matter whether you shoot digital or film... I have been shooting a lot with my Fuji 6x9 cameras in the past, but I have switched almost entirely to digital because of the weight and bulk of 6x9 equipment, although I still think a 6x9 negative can hold a lot of data. And I still enjoy the feel of the big 6x9 beasts with their huge lenses...

For digital cameras, I have settled for a Micro 4/3 Olympus camera and a full frame Sony A7. Both mirrorless because of the short registration distance allowing to mount about any lens ever created. I think the concept of "reflex" cameras is now completely obsolete (it's about time, since the idea of a camera with a folding mirror didn't quite make sense even in the dawn of digital photography)...

The Canon LTM 50/1.2 is a great lens (I have never used one but it has a great reputation anyway) but it is quite a collector item and I think it would be a waste on an APS-C camera. If you need an F/1.2 lens, there are better deals out there with SLR lenses (Canon FD, Cosina, Porst, Revue).

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Thank you for the kind words!

APS is good, full frame is better, medium format is best, large format is top. It's all about cost (and bulk) vs. quality (and usability), no matter whether you shoot digital....
there are better deals out there with SLR lenses (Canon FD, Cosina, Porst, Revue).

Cheers!

Abbazz

thank you very much Abbazz for your input and suggestions!
if I had a more stable life style certainly I would not have been able to resist and already had bought one or the other medium format film camera, your Fujica G690, a Pentax, a Yashica Mat? as it is digital is most convenient and I want, need it small and light. Eventually I shall get a FF mirrorless, would prefer a body like my NEX5n, specially it's EVF to be articulating. not sure if I ever will jump on a used A7 or can't resist the A7II before a model that is even more to my liking will be offered.

yes, specially I have been considering early Canon SLR 1.2/50 and 1.2/58 lenses, but the LTM would be more compact.

thank you for your kind reply, albeit the derailment to your great thread!
Yangon! how about some pics from there? Smile was there only once, 1983, if I remember right still must have a few slides from then, should scan them. Would love to go back, but fear bloated hotel prices of these days.
cheers,
andreas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
yes, specially I have been considering early Canon SLR 1.2/50 and 1.2/58 lenses, but the LTM would be more compact.

That's right. I love those compact rangefinder lenses but unfortunately many are overpriced because of all the rich dentists rushing to buy vintage lenses for their Leicas (only kidding! Wink ).

kuuan wrote:
Yangon! how about some pics from there? Smile was there only once, 1983, if I remember right still must have a few slides from then, should scan them. Would love to go back, but fear bloated hotel prices of these days.

You are right about the hotel prices in Yangon. In fact, cost of living is really high here and real estate prices are completely disconnected from the country's reality: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-29/yangon-more-expensive-than-nyc-sparking-boom-real-estate.html
I will try to post a few pictures taken here in a new thread. [EDIT]Done! Here's the link: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1419457.html#1419457[/EDIT]

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I love soft-focus pictures ...
Inspired by this topic, I found a KENKO 45/4.5 SF on the Evil-Bay, I found the price reasonable, and bought it.
Should be here just before, or just after Christmas.

I'll show you some pictures asap !

CU,
Rafael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie wrote:
I love soft-focus pictures ...
Inspired by this topic, I found a KENKO 45/4.5 SF on the Evil-Bay, I found the price reasonable, and bought it.
Should be here just before, or just after Christmas.

I'll show you some pictures asap !

Hi Rafael,

Nice to see you here. I am a great fan of your pictures on GetDPI. Congrats on the Kenko, that's a lens that I would be glad to put my hands on - unfortunately, eBay is blocked here in Myanmar due to the US economic sanctions so I will have to wait before I can get one.

Waiting for your pictures with this lens,

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens (Kenko 45/4.5 Soft) arrived this morning, and I had a brandnew Christmas Rose and a Christmas tree to shoot Smile)

I'm quite happy with these very first results ...

C U
Rafael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Rafael!

For all the soft focus lenses lovers at MFLenses, here's my Christmas present. This is a link to a very erudite university thesis titled The soft-focus lens and Anglo-American pictorialism, written in 2008 by William Russell Young of the University of St Andrews (UK):

http://hdl.handle.net/10023/505

Happy reading and season's greetings to all!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Abbazz.
366 pages - that should keep me busy over the weekend.
Very Happy OH