Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New leafing on Japanese Medlar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: New leafing on Japanese Medlar Reply with quote

Does your lens sing?
My Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8/180 does.
I have been so lucky in getting this copy! As you know, quality consistency is the main problem with Jena lenses. The risk of buying a lemon are significant. But this time, I have got a copy that sings! It is one of the latest versions of this lens, which is the modern-day evolution of the legendary "Olympic" 180mm Sonnar for Contarex. It is the multicoated version in black barrel and orange-white writings. Based on the serial number (91something) and on the info I have, this should be one of the very last lenses made by the Jena factory before closing down and being reunited with the West Germany Zeiss. The 1.8/180 Sonnar is reported to be the last lens still in the production line, and actually I have read a report once that said that some of these lenses were actually build after the Germany reunification.

direct:
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4695/czj28180jmedlar1uc6.jpg

This copy has the same resolvance I can see in Leica lenses, but keeping the well known "organic" qualities of the Zeiss lenses: depth, 3dimensionality, bokeh.

The Japanese Medlar (Eriobotrya japonica) is a very curious tree, not related to the European species a.k.a. Common Medlar (Mespilus germanica). it is evergreen to begin with, it blooms in the Autumn, and produces it's fruits in the Spring time. If you look, you can notice some fruits (still green) on the tree. When ripe, the fruits become of an apricot-like orange color. They are said to be edible but I never tried to eat one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh did I mention I paid only 119 Eur for it? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double luck! Exceptional quality , low price! Congratulation!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the different textures and shades of green in this, very much. You
have a great lens there, Orio! And the shooter ain't so bad, either. Smile

Yep, looking at it yet a 5th time, color def is exceptional!
Bill