Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Neg scanning - just do it!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Neg scanning - just do it! Reply with quote

I'm getting more comfortable now with my scanner Smile

The interesting thing I've "discovered" is that if a picture is a good picture then the scanner will produce a scan that's bang on first time, no tweaking necessary.
Whats even wilder is that sometimes those scanned images come off better than the prints, that come with the negative Shocked Confused Laughing

That said I can't wait to scan the negs of some old prints that I love, Very Happy

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post some samples.

Any neg landscapes if you have some Smile

I love the exposure latitude, Astia 100f is good too for that Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote: Whats even wilder is that sometimes those scanned images come off better than the prints, that come with the negative

Exactly! I'm seeing a large majority of my "auto" scans of negs - push the button and let the scanner do it's thing - that are absolutely better in color, clarity, and dynamic range than machine prints. I will try to dig up the 8x10 comparison prints I made. One was scanned and enlarged from a Frontier - the photo lab using the raw negative, the other was from my scan of the raw negative, printed with standard inkjet. There is a NOTICEABLE difference in overall quality when you line them up side by side. This MAY just be something in no way related to the scanner and "post processing"...however, if I'm seeing the lab prints from negs vs. my scans and prints of the negs for 4x6 as being differentiated by such a margin, then I guess I could EXPECT an 8x10 or larger to show the same differences.

In any case, I am so surprised and happy that the scanner does so well on its own. I envisioned a lot of tweaking around, even with medium format negs and transparencies. But when I see the results from "auto scans", I'm simply and completely satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athiril wrote:
Please post some samples.

Any neg landscapes if you have some Smile. . .

Here you go. I'm reposting an image from the gallery and I've just scanned the print in for comparison.

Tamron CF Tele Macro F 3.8 80-210mm
At Easter this year I went outside after dinner and saw this . . .

This is the print . . .

This is the neg with NO tweaking . . .

The clarity of details in the direct neg scan is great, but in the print?

Funny thing is for an experiment I tried to duplicate the print and Shocked Confused Shocked Confused
I guess with the prints you have to believe the person making the prints is seeing what you saw, Shocked or is that know what they're seeing Confused

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty darn close to what I see as the differences Jim. Kind of amazing actually. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar result in my Film/Scan thread. I was shocked first by how different the print and negative were and second by how much more detail shows in the negative scan.

By all means, scan the negative if you have it!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jim. Looks like you have a quality machine. I look forward to seeing more of your work and more of your part of the world Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the dust and spots that are inherent to scanning, even after cleaning the neg or transparency: I tried using Digital Ice, and it works pretty well. However, it takes a LONG time to scan in that mode. I think it is sometimes faster to go to Photoshop (much as I don't like to use Photoshop) and clone them out.