Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need your solutions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: need your solutions... Reply with quote

my question is about cleaning rear glass of telephoto lenses that are set deep in the lens body...how do you do it? i wrap lens cloth around flat tip of the pencil and gently clean the glass, but i would love to hear your methods and ideas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to open the lens up and clean the lens properly. I've also tried similar trickery you use, but it never seems to do the job well enough, especially since the back element is critical for image quality.

If opening is not an option, then I'd first blow the dirt away, then maybe vacuum the dirt gently and finally use a largish diameter soft object, wrap disposable cleaning paper over it, put a drop or two of very quicly vaporizing cleaning agent on it and then slowly and gently clean the lens, repeating with a new clean tissue (or a clean part of the old one). Eve if the tissue looks clean, it will be greasy and it's not a good idea to spread the grease, so after each swipe it is a good idea to use a clean portition of the paper (with a new drop of the cleaning liquid).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It s a bit controverse tool, not everyone agrees on it s utility, after i clean such lens elements by blowing away any dust and other particles, i use Lens Pen. It proved a good handy tool to reach those deep lens elements, not perfect for everything of course, but wich tool is, anyway?

tomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blow off any dirt or particles, then use a q-tip immersed in pure acetone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual tools: blower, soft artists brush, long q-tip (ear bud), eclipse, naptha, distilled water, pec-pad.

One lens I decided to do it right. The rear tube joint was under the tripod mount. After removing the tube, the rear element was well exposed for cleaning. Perfect. I didn't touch it. Since then I check with flashlight before going to the trouble. So far blower & brush have been enough, even for very dusty lens that had been sat end up without a cap!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I blow off any dirt or particles, then use a q-tip immersed in pure acetone.

One word of caution - Acetone is a solvent to most plastics, and most q-tips (at least in my area) have plastic sticks. If you are using acetone, make sure you buy the expensive q-tips with the paper sticks. Wink