Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with manual focus on EOS digital camera.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Need help with manual focus on EOS digital camera. Reply with quote

I recently purchased an adapter to use a Hasselblad Zeiss 110mm f/2 Planar lens on my EOS-1D and EOS-10D cameras. Everything works great except I'm having a terrible time focusing the lens. I try very hard to get the lens focused right where I want it, but the image is usually slightly out of focus.

I finally put the camera a tripod and took photos of a long ruler from an angle as a test to see if the focusing screen is out of alignment. I took photos with various lenses (including the Planar) and everything was in focus except those I shot with a 50mm f/1.8. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with the camera.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Canon makes an Ec-S focusing screen that says it works better with fast and manual focus lenses. Would this screen solve my problem? Any other ideas? The Planar seems to be a wonderful lens, but I need my photos to be in focus. Thanks,

--Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with manual focus on EOS digital camera. Reply with quote

gcrimmins wrote:
Canon makes an Ec-S focusing screen that says it works better with fast and manual focus lenses. Would this screen solve my problem?

I would say "no", since you managed to focus correctly with almost all of your lenses and you have already decided that the camera is not the problem.

Quote:
Any other ideas?

If you can focus ok with other lenses, and if you can never focus ok with this Planar, I would say that the Planar is defective.
Make the "long wall test": find a long wall, that has some texture to it (like bricks). Place the camera at an angle and fill the viewfinder with the wall. Set the aperture to wide open and photograph. Focus somewhere in the middle. No matter how wrong or bad you did focus, there must be a focused portion of the image somewhere. Repeat the test stopping down by a couple of stops.
If you can find the focused area to be of normal clarity and sharpness, then the problem is in your focusing technique/eyesight. If there is no clear focused area at all, then the Planar is defective and must be repaired.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a stupid suggestions, but just in case:
So AF-lenses works but not the MF-lens? Have you checked the ... dont now the word in english, "diopter" (the little wheel with + and - next to viewfinder the adjust the focus.. there is on my EOS350D anyway). If you focus on something with AF, does it lok focused in the viewfinder? If not, adjust the diopter until the focuspoint looks sharp in viewfinder, and then try with mf-lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. The test I did with the ruler is similar to the brick wall test. The only lens that didn't focus where I expected was the Canon 50 1.8. It was sharp, just not focused where I thought it was. That was with a fixed subject and the camera on a tripod.

I just did the brick wall test with the Planar. The focus was perhaps off a little bit, but the lens looks sharp. So it looks like the lens and camera are fine. I think it is just really hard to tell when the image is in focus. When I'm taking photos of people, I just can't seem to get the photo in focus. I let a photographer friend try the camera with the Planar, and he had the same problem. He's also having the same problem with his Canon 50 1.4 on an EOS-1D.

When using autofocus, everything works fine, and the images are in focus.

I've heard that the standard focusing screen in EOS cameras is optimized for slow lenses, so it isn't very good for manual focusing. Canon does make a special focusing screen for manual focusing with fast lenses. I wonder if this would help. Do the EOS users on this forum use the focusing screen that came with the camera, or a different screen? Thanks,

--Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ee-s improves things on the 5D, definitely.
Also it improves the fidelity of exposure metering stopped down with manual lenses.
For 30 EUR or so it's a no brainer. So go for it.
But let me anticipate, it will not probably solve the problem, if your eyesight is uncertain. Much better to use FA adapters. And do "focus bracketing" if you have a still subject. That is, find a focus point, note it down (ref. to barrel position), then make two other takes moving slightly on the right, then get back to position and make other two takes moving slowly to the left.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you order the correct Focus Screen. For example the EOS 5D does not use the same screens as with 1D series.

And in some cases be prepared for a long delivery. Mine will arrive on Monday after 2 months waiting.