Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with Angenieux 50/1.8 Type S1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Need help with Angenieux 50/1.8 Type S1 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am not frequent poster here, but I will do better I promise Smile

Recently, I found Leica If with Angenieux 50/1.8 Type S1 in LTM mount in a local store, and I bought it.

However, after spending few hours searching web, I couldn't find this particular type.

Therefore I'd like to ask you for a help.

Maybe someone saw same lens and know a bit more about this particular type.
(I have seen many variations of 50/1.8 Type S1, including so called original LTM adapted and coupled, but they all look different).

My lens looks like factory original and it is coupled properly. (checked on my Leica M6) Optically it has some haze on one side and of course tinny cleaning marks, but I will see with my local CLA guy, what can be done (with haze). I can't see fungus nor separation though...

Thanks in advance for the help.

And one quick shot wide open with Sony A7

[img]

P.S. Images doesn't seem to show up, while they were OK in the preview mode. Here is the link to the flickr album, just in case...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97543230@N02/sets/72157650272138881/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with Angenieux 50/1.8 Type S1 Reply with quote

Anti spam measure first post does not show images.
Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by uddhava on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Thank you uddhava... Reply with quote

I thought it's my fault.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a photo showing the distance scale? I can't see that in the photos above.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching, I found some, just not that style, and those that I found were not cheap.
Maybe try the RFForum.
I look forward to seeing some samples from it, I looksed at a bunch of shots from the other type, and they look good, could be a keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Photo of the distance scale Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Could you post a photo showing the distance scale? I can't see that in the photos above.

Hi Calvin83, enclosed are few photos of the distance scale. Sorry for the bad quality I had only iPad with me Sad
As you can see, they are metrics, but there is no mark "m" or any other. Focus starts at 1m which correspond to the real distance on my M6.

Thanks for looking,
Viktor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: I got a reply from Angenieux... Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I did some searching, I found some, just not that style, and those that I found were not cheap.
Maybe try the RFForum.
I look forward to seeing some samples from it, I looksed at a bunch of shots from the other type, and they look good, could be a keeper.

Thanks for the effort Lightshow, RF is great tip that I forgot about. Meanwhile I received answer from Angenieux. Mrs. Malavieille Christine sent me (within 12hours!!!) following reply...

Quote:
Dear Mr Pavlovic,

Further to your request, you will find enclosed the information we have regarding this old F50 1.8 lens.

It seems that it was so called Leica E3 version. How many of those were produced is hard to say (I asked Angenieux, but I doubt they would know either), however I wasn't able to find any other sample (image of the lens) on the web...

As soon as it gets back from CLA service, I'll make a little review on my blog.

Thanks and best regards,
Viktor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is a original factory made copy made around 1955(everything is consistent with the lens made in the same period). Here is another one with the same housing as yours http://ameblo.jp/fryou/image-10980408796-11404920903.html .

Keep the lens, buy a filter and a hood, and take good care of it. You might not able to find another one throughout your life. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Finally! Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I believe this is a original factory made copy made around 1955(everything is consistent with the lens made in the same period). Here is another one with the same housing as yours http://ameblo.jp/fryou/image-10980408796-11404920903.html .

Keep the lens, buy a filter and a hood, and take good care of it. You might not able to find another one throughout your life. Wink

Thanks a lot for the image and link. My lens would be happy to see it has brother. Good find!

Regards,
Viktor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!

and maybe you should keep it away from your local repair guy....!

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Yeah... Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Great find!

and maybe you should keep it away from your local repair guy....!

Klaus

It is a risk no doubt. But I know the man and he did CLA many of my rare lens collection. In this case we agreed that he will carefully inspect the lens under microscope first and we will discuss every following step. He need to make special tools for opening it (if we decide so), and if the opening will require any extra force, we will leave it as it is.
He will mark all elements to be re assembled in exactly same position (rotation wise) if we get inside.
The haze is in a banana shape approx 10% of the diameter on one side from the edge of the middle group. It could be between the lens elements, but we can't say before opening. Under my close inspection (with 12x magnification loupe) it doesn't look like fungus, but we will see...

Thanks for warning anyway, I am not happy too, but would be even less happy if I don't try anything...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: I made a short review Reply with quote

as I promised - http://www.verybiglobo.com/angenieux-50mm-f1-8-type-s1-on-sony-a7r/

It's on Sony A7r, so the result could be affected by thick sensor cover, but it's nice to see this old lens to hold its own on a high res modern sensor.

Thank you all who tried to help identifying it.

Regards,
Viktor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: I made a short review Reply with quote

verybiglebowski wrote:
as I promised - http://www.verybiglobo.com/angenieux-50mm-f1-8-type-s1-on-sony-a7r/

It's on Sony A7r, so the result could be affected by thick sensor cover, but it's nice to see this old lens to hold its own on a high res modern sensor.

Regards,
Viktor

Oh my - that is better than good.
Awesome is a word that comes to mind.
I am blown away by this lens.
A diamond!
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I made a short review Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
verybiglebowski wrote:

Regards,
Viktor

Oh my - that is better than good.
Awesome is a word that comes to mind.
I am blown away by this lens.
A diamond!
OH

You seems to be on the dark side too. Very Happy It is indeed very nice little 50mm lens, thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an awesome lens considering its age and no wonder as Pierre Angenieux did a great job of creating very "cineastic" lenses.

That one especially...(if I may link to your work)