Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help identifying Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm F0.95 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Need help identifying Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm F0.95 lens Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't gotten around to trying to repair my defect lenses, but I have picked up another project on a whim because I figured I can't go too wrong with a F0.95 lens for 50 pounds.

It seem obvious the lens is missing controls for focus and aperture. The wheels on the bottom do change both, but this can't be how the lens was intended to be operated. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information about this particular version of the lens. I don't even know what mount it is.

If anyone knows anything about the lens, maybe even what is needed to fix it, I would be very thankful for any help.

Cheers, Bjoern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968 judging by serial number. The Vade Mecum notes under the heading - 16mm Lenses for Bolex Reflex etc. and some Arriflex a 0.95 50mm for video. An 8/6. Also, under TV and CCTV lenses, a 0.95 50mm. Also in 8/6.

I hope this is some help. Good luck with the hunt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's missing is a large box full of electronics, gears and electric motors so the lens can be controlled remotely, usually in a CCTV system.

The Xenon 0.95 is a fairly common lens in C-mount, so the flange focal distance of your example is likely to be around 18mm, like C-mount, so it will have to be used on a mirrorless camera. I'm not sure how big the image circle is, the Fujinon-TV 1.4/50 C-mount just and so covers APS-C with smudgy corners and significant light falloff, the Kowa/Computar 1.3/50 just about covers APS-C too, I haven't tried the Pentax/Cosmicar 1.4/50 C-mount on APS-C.

I think the Xenon 0.95 was for 1" sensors, so it is likely to be similar in coverage - okay for M4/3, will cover APS-C if you don't mind a lot of light falloff and smudgy corners.

To add control rings for the focus and aperture will require a lot of work, the easiest way will be to modify the two exposed gears so you can turn them with a finger tip, one will control the aperture, the other, the focus as originally, they were driven by electric motors.

To mount it, probably best to remove the silver plate with the bayonet mount and replace it with a modified adapter to one of the mirrorless mounts, which will probably require some lathe work to modify the new mount and maybe to remove some material from the rear of the lens too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the extra information.

I expected there used to be a motor, thanks for confirming. Maybe I'll see if I can make it work on my NEX.

I have to admit my ignorance about one thing though, but is this really a C-mount lens? I googled C-mount and it looked to me like C-mount is a screw mount and this one looks very different. Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulrichsson wrote:
Many thanks for all the extra information.

I expected there used to be a motor, thanks for confirming. Maybe I'll see if I can make it work on my NEX.

I have to admit my ignorance about one thing though, but is this really a C-mount lens? I googled C-mount and it looked to me like C-mount is a screw mount and this one looks very different. Sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something.

This lens is also available in C mount, but yours isn't one of those. It is a video mount, AFAIK the same bayonet mount as Zeiss Tevidon lenses sometimes use. There are replacement C mounts for some of those Tevidon lenses but those won't fit your lens, the way the bayonet mount is fixed to the lens body is different between the brands. There are replacement mounts available for the C mount version of this Schneider lens to get a Leica M mount instead. I don't know whether that one will fit your lens. I know of no adapters from this bayonet to Sony E mount, AFAIK they don't exist and can't be made either, not with infinity focus at least. The C mount versions of these lenses need to be mounted slightly recessed relative to the Sony E mount. This is possible with the narrow C mount but not with this wider breechlock bayonet mount.

So for infinity focus on a Sony E mount camera you need to replace the lens mount.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a similar lens, the Schneider Xenon 25mm f/0.95, in this massive steel housing. I was told it came from a traffic video camera monitoring a bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not sound too promising. Sad

I guess even with a replacement mount I still could not get infinity focus since the lens is just to wide to be recessed at all, isn't it?

However, I could probably live without infinity focus just to get something out of it just for fun. I don't suppose you could point me to those replacement M-mounts? Google did not find anything for me, unfortunately.

If all fails, I might grab a cheap c-mount lens somewhere and hope its mount will fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brass C mount (chromed) from a Fujinon CS mount lens I converted, you can have it for the postage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that would be awesome, many thanks!!!

Should I PM you my address and you PM me your email and I paypal (F&F) you the money?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it posted then let you know how much a stamp was.Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulrichsson wrote:
This does not sound too promising. Sad

I guess even with a replacement mount I still could not get infinity focus since the lens is just to wide to be recessed at all, isn't it?

However, I could probably live without infinity focus just to get something out of it just for fun. I don't suppose you could point me to those replacement M-mounts? Google did not find anything for me, unfortunately.

If all fails, I might grab a cheap c-mount lens somewhere and hope its mount will fit.

Those replacement Leica M mounts used to be offered on eBay, but i can't find any of those either anymore.

With a replacement mount infinity focus is possible AFAIK. The current mount is too wide to be recessed, but if you replace that then there is no reason why the lens can't be placed at the correct distance for infinity focus.

A C mount wouldn't be the best fit for a DIY mount. Its diameter is too narrow to avoid vignetting with a 50/0.95 lens on full frame or even APS-C. I would first try and see if the current mount, held in place with 6? screws, can be replaced by a flat adapter that you can drill the matching 6 holes in. Perhaps a Sony E reverse ring to 52 or more mm can be a good starting point, or a 42mm to 58mm step up ring plus an M42 to Sony E 1mm thin adapter. I would start by unscrewing the current lens mount and holding the lens in front of your camera. That should allow you to estimate how thick the adapter needs to be.

If you don't feel like doing this yourself, perhaps Raf from Raf Camera can make a matching Sony E mount. He would need careful measurements though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: MFT coverage Reply with quote

My Schneider 50/0,95does cover the Olympus penf standard MFT sensor. The rear lens element is quite large and will be restricted by something as narrow as a C-mount. Reasonably sharp and contrasty if focussed properly.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MFT coverage Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
My Schneider 50/0,95does cover the Olympus penf standard MFT sensor. The rear lens element is quite large and will be restricted by something as narrow as a C-mount. Reasonably sharp and contrasty if focussed properly.

p.

Interesting to hear. What mount does your lens have?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: mount Reply with quote

it had Cmount originally but is now fitted with an MFT mount that does not cause vignetting.My 25mm095 does not have the large rear element, so it remains in a Cmount. and is only usable on muy ancient Beaulieu cinecamera.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mount Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
it had Cmount originally but is now fitted with an MFT mount that does not cause vignetting.My 25mm095 does not have the large rear element, so it remains in a Cmount. and is only usable on muy ancient Beaulieu cinecamera.

p.

Did you make that MFT mount yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commercial adapter fitted by screws and glue by a competent mechanic: the quite flat cmount adapters lend themselves to holing out the middle-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Good to know MFT adapters are available as well, or at least have been available at one point in time..