Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice... Would you buy a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35.... ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Need advice... Would you buy a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35.... ? Reply with quote

Would you buy a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 (Leicaflex edition) in "B" condition, i.e. clean glass, cosmetically slightly used for Euro 100,-? (With the possibility to return within two weeks.)

Cheers...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can bolt it on to your camera, then I'd say yes because the two week grace period gives you a chance to get some informed opinion here and try the lens out for yourself.

Just my 2p worth. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Yes Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I try to get it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signs of barrel wear can be a good sign - poor lenses don't get much use. Barrel wear but clean glass is always fine by me...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok based on reports I read, the first version of Elmarit-R 35 (serial number until 2.517.857) is not much exciting.
I have the second version and it's a stellar performer, but the optical scheme was redesigned.
However, it's always a Leica so it can't be a bad lens.
You have to decide if you think opportune to spend 100 Euros on the lens, considering that -based on reports- it's probably not going to be so much better than the Nikkor 2/35 that you already have. It will probably be better than the Nikkor stopped down, but at full aperture I read that the first version Elmarit has noticeable problems with corner quality and vignetting.

Try it and see, if you plan to use it stopped down for maximum landscape DOF, then it can be a good buy.
If you plan to use it also wide open, like for closeups of nature or objects, where narrow DOF is important, then my advice is to buy a Distagon 2.8/35, which can be purchased for about the same money, and whose wide open performance is very good (not to mention the total absence of geometrical distortion) in both the AE and MM versions.

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio, I have read reports about this lens that say up to "quite OK, with some problems" up to "excellent".

You know that, with the Nikkor-O 2.0/35, I do not need another 35mm lens, really.
But it is kind of nice to have a Leica lens in my collection and to be able to "compare" some very nice 35mm lenses with some kind of "reference".
And getting an original Leica for € 100,- is very hard.
This and the fact that I have the chance to try it, made me go for it.

But, I will see, perhaps the seller has already sold it...