Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice for russian lens hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

Gentleman,

I need some advice about hoods for these lens:
Jupiter9, Mir 1B, Helios 44-2, and Jupiter-11.
An well known seller and interesting quality/price ratio product would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just use a cheap generic screw thread hood for those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Gentleman,

An well known seller and interesting quality/price ratio product would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renato

I know that both J-11 nad J-9 had original plastic "push-in" hood`s. Helios-44-2 in my mind does not need one. And as for Mir-1B I`ve never seen a hood for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I would just use a cheap generic screw thread hood for those.

Drak,

Mir 1B flares a lot in a closed angle toward the light source, a hood is sometimes a must have item,

Martin,

Generic can't be for the wide angles, it causes a strong vignetting on the lens, some cheappo lens hoods i have here all of then shows some sort of vigneting on my Mir 1B and Pentacon 30/3.5, wider the angle bigger the vignetting,

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve meant that I haven`t seen an original hood for the mir and I`m not sure if one exists. As for the need to have one I agree. Mir is very prone to flare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a lens hood for my Helios 40 Wink

66mm filter thread is difficult... Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

Renato
Look at 3 in 1 Collapsible Screw-in Lens Hood, I bought 49mm for my Mir-1 and Helios-44 and 52mm for Zenitar 1.7/50, H-44M.
It has 3 position and it is pretty useful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try this for mir.
Click here to see on Ebay

I have similar with my 28mm tokina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

Webwalker wrote:
Renato
Look at 3 in 1 Collapsible Screw-in Lens Hood, I bought 49mm for my Mir-1 and Helios-44 and 52mm for Zenitar 1.7/50, H-44M.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Webwalker wrote:
Renato

+1

I use those (on Mir 1 for exemple), even if quality is not great (it won't last for years and years), it does its job, and it's pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I solved the problem simply: I bought a collapsible rubber lens hood for 67mm (as in the picture in this post), unglued metal ring from the rubber base and glued rubber hood at the empty frame of the filter that comes with the lens (one of the three, take out the glass). If you do not hunt to disassemble the filter, you can just pull the rubber hood on the right lens - sits perfectly Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Gentleman,

Thanks,

Renato

For Jupiter-9 I use this hood: CARL ZEISS JENA Pentacon METAL LENS HOOD 49mm, I bought at a flea market in a box once a lot of these, and put them on all the old lenses with thread 49 - I do not know how much it works, but it looks very stylish : )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentacon-49-mm-lens-hood-shade-/160972730785?_trksid=p2992.m753

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing square one ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Laughing square one ?

For J-9? Yeahhhh!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Mmmmm My PRECIOUS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

P.S.
(Hoya 67mm hood with unglued metal ring from the rubber base on a 67mm and glued rubber hood at the empty frame of the filter that comes with the lens)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice for russian lens hood Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Webwalker wrote:
Renato

+1

Ok, I'll get 10 of this for my 49mm lens. If I found a vignetting on the Mir 1B you buy the lot from me, ok?

Very Happy

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:
Attila wrote:

Mmmmm My PRECIOUS!

The bid for this hood is ended and I'll try to find another one like this at ebay just to try. The one you bought is metal or plastic?
I remember now that Summicron 35/2.8 and 2.8/28 has the same shape lens hood, maybe it's time to try a square o petale shape if i get rid of vignetting with these lens on FF. I supposed the petale shaped and square hoods was made for wide angle!

Very Happy

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square hood on J9,looking good seriously , extra I like it. I will set it up also once Smile to attract Japanese tourists.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:

The bid for this hood is ended and I'll try to find another one like this at ebay just to try. The one you bought is metal or plastic?
I remember now that Summicron 35/2.8 and 2.8/28 has the same shape lens hood, maybe it's time to try a square o petale shape if i get rid of vignetting with these lens on FF. I supposed the petale shaped and square hoods was made for wide angle!

Very Happy
Renato

it is metal! Smile but it is very light weight

wide angle... glare ... who cares when it looks so cool! Smile

tonight I'll try to have a test, and show there is a difference with the usual round rubber hood for 49 and this square Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Square hood on J9,looking good seriously , extra I like it. I will set it up also once Smile to attract Japanese tourists.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a silver vented hood type for my Helios 40! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I would love to have a silver vented hood type for my Helios 40! Very Happy

...do you really want this? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That square hood is made of painted aluminium. Flat black in the interior, shinier black outside.
(I inherited one that is bent, seems to be a good protection for droping lenses/cameras.)

It was intended for 50 mm lenses and came in 2 distinctive versions: with counterring and with rubber ring. You have the one with rubber ring. I suppose the rubber ring ones are newer and the counter ring was replaced with the rubber one for being cheaper. Unfortunately it is also practically useless on some lenses. (Depending on the filterthread of the lens the friction can be sufficient when the hood is angled, than you are busted.)
I encountered the ones with rubber ring only as Pentacon. The ones with (shiny silver) counterring came also marked as Ihagee.

I do like these hoods a lot and use them frequently.
It seems a 35,5 mm threaded version existed also, would like to get one. They are not really rare buth they go relatively expensive. (Around 10 EUR.)

A trick to put them parallel to film axis: Put the hood on the lens, aproximatevily horizontal. Now put camera the camera on his bottom on a table. Touch the table with the low side of the hood. Now the hood is aligned with the bottom of the camera and implicit the film. Tighten the counter ring.