Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Nature of damage - need help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Nature of damage - need help Reply with quote

The photo is of rear element of MF lens. The damage to the glass is obvious. But what is that? Is it fungus? Is it lens separation? Or is is something else entirely? Would be grateful for your opinion:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the lens? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy fungus infection. After cleaning not necessarily bad lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two slots will allow you to remove the rear element (lens spanner best) and clean off the fungus. I use a tiny drop of household mould and mildew remover on a lens cleaning (spectacles) pad, then rinse, let dry, finish with lens pen, but any detergent based cleaner will probably do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just whip out that rear element, dead easy, and clean it. I use cold cream, but mould cleaner or isopropyl alcohol are equally good. It's worth a try, the lens is contaminated and on a rear element it affects the images a lot more.

Whatever the lens is, it's got to be worth a try?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get seasick when I look the picture for a while. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's permanent coating damage due to fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant stop looking through at the Aperture Blades! It will deffo been worth a try at cleaning of the Fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which - the aperture would also need to be repaired, looks like one of the blade is off its track.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the kindness and goodwill of everyone who helped me out. Thanks.

Thank you!

I lost the lens on a bid of $333. It was just one of those things. Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. One of those things. How much would it have taken? I dunno. My guess is between $400 and $500. But I have really no way to know. Angenieux P2 lenses in good shape go for what . . . $1200 . . . $1500 . . . perhaps more? I dunno. It is a sought-after lens. It is a fairly rare lens. The winner is probably a lot smarter about all this than I am. I was third highest bidder, and my bid was within only a couple of bucks of the #2 bidder. So I was in some sort of ballpark. But the winner trimmed us both, and everyone else, too. There were many bidders, as you might imagine, for something like this.

Oh, well. I lost. But at least I was in the game. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fungus infection was severe, so it is likely permanently etched if the infection was there a long time, it's possible that it hasn't etched it yet, only one way to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The fungus infection was severe, so it is likely permanently etched if the infection was there a long time, it's possible that it hasn't etched it yet, only one way to find out.

Well, that is it exactly. That was my thinking. I have never visited Las Vegas. But I love MF lenses. Could never afford to buy an Angenieux P2 in great condition. Heck, it is tough enough just finding one being offered for sale.

So any bid was purely a gamble on the repairability of that lens. I would rather gamble on lenses than gamble in Vegas. Because if you win a lens gamble you end up with something more desirable than mere money.